Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dav

got a 725 at the Flywheeler show last week. basic basket case. can't even start working on it, beyond a tire change so I can move it out of the way, until I check a few items off the 'honey do' list.

got it for the right price...well, I did pay for it, it wasn't free but it was cheap. I will soon be looking for a steering wheel and a gas tank. otherwise, it is complete although partly disassembled.

the plan is to replace the 725 hood with my spare B-1 hood and paint it yellow.

wish I could figure out the darn camera. no pics yet

wow. 85 for a tank. I think the highest price I ran across when looking for a tank for the Landlord was $50. that was last year and I sold the tractor 'as is' so I didn't buy a tank after all. maybe prices are just lower in Florida.

taxes aren't back yet so it will have to wait. of course once I have the money, there won't be a tank to be had.

:D Sorry I missed you last week Dav. I went on thursday. Good show but it is getting much too crowded with atv's and golf carts. Wouldn't be so bad if they would just drive sensibly and keep the dust to a minimum. I was disappointed in the numbers from the MM Club feature. I guess those guys won't travel to the deep south for a show. Oh well. I enjoyed the show anyway....Dave

$85 might seem nuts for a clean tank but they were $120 a few years ago when they stopped making them. Below is a alternative and it isn`t cheap either.

DSCF2433.JPG

It is a Lawn Boy commercial tank. Probably cost more than $85 unless you find one on ebay cheap or a dealer that has a bunch of used equipment out back. Since it is plastic it will never rust and it fits without any issues. Got mine for $5

DSCF2433.JPG.e338749d9e99eae6bda81d574c8e244e.JPG

Most of the tanks are rotted out. Its supply and demand. Your looking at parts from the 60's. A basket case is cheap because the parts to restore will cost you. If its just a runner, get the plastic tank, cant go wrong. If your restoring, you gotta bite the bullet. You can repair yours, its over $100 to do, but it can be done. Oh, and I know a guy, that knows a guy, that knows that guy!:D

Im interested in the part number too.Getting ready to line my tank, drying right now.Was in very good shape inside with a few spots of rust but with ethanol in gas now doing it anyways.

DSCF0704.JPG

DSCF0704.JPG.5546d33fb592bace920aedc21838a5ab.JPG

Not sure of the part number. I did look it up before. I did a google search of parts manuals for Lawn boy parts manual. It maybe NLA but they maybe on ebay. Here`s two. You will not be able to use the Simplicity gas guage, it is a hair to small. You will need a cap for a Lawnboy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70s-Lawnboy-gas-tank-1-gallon-black-/141045940849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d6fe4271

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70s-Lawnboy-gas-tank-1-gallon-/141045063862?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d6f0e0b6

I got the idea from Perry. When he done his. I believe the tank is different in a 700, 725 and B1 then what is in the Landlord 101 through 3212H. So it may not fit the 700, 725 and B1.

Fuel tank Part # 145476 (609829) from $ 110.00 to $ 99.50 new.

Fuel cap Part # 682755

Cap baffle part # 609150

Cap gasket part # 607213

Shut-off valve # 677052

Seems crazy doesn`t it. In the 90`s you could buy a new gas tank for a F150 truck cheaper than you could buy a metal 1-1/2 gallon tank from Simplicity.

DSCF2432.JPG

The only other issue is that the outlet on the tank is at the opposite end compared to the metal tank. Other than that the tank is dimensionally the same (+ or - a 1/4"). If you are not a purist and have a holesaw then a hole can be drilled at the opposite end of the tank support.

DSCF2432.JPG.5ccafe563616ba322f1069535f67da31.JPG

Nuts !! my Chevys were cheaper for a replacement 15 gallon tank.

That is another reason why besides ethanol in gas i am repairing and relining all the old metal fuel tanks.

Here`s Perry`s post. I never had any issues with ethanol. More likey water. These tanks are 45 to 50 years old and galvanize metal doesn`t last forever. It also doesn`t help when a previous owner leaves a tractor sit out in the weather. Water will get into the tank right through the cap.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121481&SearchTerms=tank

Yeh, those,

Ones the plastic cap comes off it becomes a mini funnel.

Many others had the same problem, replaced a lot of tank because of it with regular caps.

As for the ethanol, it absorbs water exemplifying the problem and rotting out the tanks very quickly. I have learned the hard way not to leave the gas in a unlined old metal tank for very long, a small spot of rust inside the tank will become a hole very quickly, usually always around the drain hole.

The old leaded gas was not so bad.