Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Universal joints

JohnN

And No I'm not talking about Message #5762(see link). I have a 7117H "semi"repowered by a Kohler 16hp single cylinder. I've got lots of good input from you guys and am thinking of possibly going with a universal joint off the BGB to the driveshaft. I was looking all over the internet and found some sites, but they are either rated at only 1800rpm or not for use with engines. Would this be a reasonable replacement? The reason I ask is because I noticed the Ultima appears to use a universal joint between the driveshaft and the hydro pump. I looks more heavy duty then the ones I've found that have a 3/4" bore. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Or am I better off getting a longer driveshaft? John[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=5762&mode=short&startwith=0'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/deutz/ultima_cutaway.jpg'][/a]

John, Everything from the 7112 or 7114 with the Kohler should work for you. I wouldn't mess with the knuckle u-joints. You then have to get a shaft flywheel adapter and the Regular Simplicity set up is very reliable and smooth. When U-joints start to get loose they vibrate and they are more costly. It is your nickel and you can do what you want. These are my thoughts and they are free. That tells you how much they are worth. You should be able to get them locally or if you have a problem, call us at 1-800-462-2218 and we can help you. Thanks Al Eden

John, I don't like to do this this way, but I don't know what else to do. I sent you an e-mail on a different subject, in reply to yur request. It bounced and said your box was full and capacity was exceeded. I will answer your request when I can get it through. But it sounds like you may have to clean your mail box. Sorry to do this here, but I can't e-mail you and tell you. Thanks Al Eden

John, If you have no alignment problems, I would agree with Al. The Simplicity parts are the way to go. If you are converting to a different engine, where you would have alignment problems, I would then fabricate a driveshaft using universal joints. I have done so on a few occasions, though not with an AC/Simplicity. The speed should not cause a problem as long as any alignment difference does not exceed one inch. Just be sure to keep them well greased. Pat.