Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6 speed from a 70 series to a 34 series

drbrian722

I've found a non-running Allis 710 6-speed that I can get for next to nothing and I am interested in transplanting its' 6-speed setup onto my 3416. I know the range selector uses the upper bung in the frame so it will mount. I also know that the BGB on the 710 has a larger shaft than the 3416. In a perfect world I would like to keep my BGB and 3 speed transmission and just swap over the linkages and pulleys. I know mine are good and this one has been sitting outside for at least 20 years. Is this possible, or will I need to take the whole rear end?

Thanks for any advice!

The shaft on a BGB for a 6 speed and a hydro are the same. Only the variable speed has a longer driven shaft. The diameter is 7/8" on all the running board tractors.

If I'm not mistaken, you will also need the side plate, and clutch pulley bracket and maybe some other parts too.

It's been a few years since I had one to look at, but I once sold a complete set up to another member, and I remember him commenting that I sent him parts he didn't even know he needed till he did the swap.

It was Greg, GLPointon (?) and I'm not sure if he did a write up on it or not. You might try a search or maybe he will see this post.

Can't he just split both tractors between the frame and BGB? Swap the BGB trans assy, then move the Hi-Low lever to the 3416, hook up the brakes and shift and go?

quote:Originally posted by RayS

He should be able to. Sounded like he wants to use the BGB from the 3416.

id="quote">
id="quote">Agreed, that would be quicker and easier, but as I read it, he wants to use his known good bgb and transmission, so the swap will be much more work, but still very do-able.If it were me, I would do the simple swap, after checking out the unknown bgb for play, then replace things as necessary later.I MIGHT even just swap my good engine into the new tractor and check it out that way. :D:D

Thanks for the link, I was digging through the archive and found it just as this thread was being updated.Last spring I restored the BGB and 3 speed donor in my 3416 to replace the broken shuttle and they are clean and tight. This donor quite frankly looks beat up. The linkage was frozen and some PB blaster freed it up, the belts are shot, but the pulleys and guards are complete and in decent enough shape.The tractor doesn't run so I cannot hear anything before I would begin the swap and I would hate to go through splitting them just to find out the BGB or transmission is bad.

3r63tf3Hb5Lb5sc5Jcd69ebfde333cea8148f.jpg

Have you ever seen a deck so far gone?Looking it over, the transmission input pulleys stack and shouldn't be an issue, but I'm unsure about the BGB shaft. I seem to recall that I heard the 70xx series used a thicker shaft than the 34xx but information from Ray above says they're the same, which is good enough for me!Thanks for the information!

3r63tf3Hb5Lb5sc5Jcd69ebfde333cea8148f.jpg.6b603ac589bfbbe1c41b90ae7cf084d0.jpg

I have checked the shaft numbers numerous times in the past. They all except for the variable speed supersede to the lastest number available when they stopped making the Sovereign 18. The 3416 may or may not have a 1/2"-13 nut on the cone clutch side. The 7000 series has a 3/4"-16 nut. The one with the 1/2"-13 nut also has a washer behind it. If swapping the BGB`s use the washer. Other than that they are the same parts.

I have seen some really bad decks and that is probably the worst.:D

I made this 6 speed swap a couple of years ago. Unbolt the bevel gearbox from the frame and unhook everything and just swap the whole assembly. Quick job and worked out great.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

Its aerated! Thats actually a salesmans sample with the cut away!:D

id="quote">
id="quote">That deck is best used only on Sundays.:o:O

• 1 month later...

Just an update; I did the swap on Sunday and it was straight forward but a b@ll buster!

When I split the 710, the bottom bolt on the frame side to transmission it let loose about a gallon of rusty water! I'm glad I went this way and not the easier split and swap as I cannot trust the transmission at this point. I also noted that the side to side play in the 710's BGB is about 3/4 of an inch, where as my 3416 has none.

After swapping side plates and migrating linkages it works great and I'm glad I did it, but next time I may just keep an eye out for buying a 6 speed as built from the factory.

Low range is actually faster than I thought it would be, but low reverse will be a life saver when backing carts of wood down the back hill to my processing area.

Thanks for all the help, I'll get some pictures up soon.

I don't recall any difference between my 7010 and 3410 BGB shafts - I swapped parts back and forth, but Ray posted some very specific info above a possible one.