Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
trowel

Squire 9 BGB pulley halfs

trowel

The groan noise when i release the clutch is still there.

Can't quite tell if it is from the input shaft (bearing feels fine) on the tranny or the BGB pulley halfs thrust washers.

The inner thrust washer look good and is all there, the outer washer looks good to, when it wears does it groan/creak at take off ?

ss74nova

I have that same noise on my 1966 LL 101 with a split pulley. Idling in nuetral with the clutch in sounds loud, all I hear is that pulley spinning. My 1964 LL doesn't make that noise. Never knew what it was until now.

Thanks

rokon2813

I guess I'm a bit confused.

By "thrust washers" are you referring to the plastic or nylon pieces? or are you missing those?

I have never had one rattle or make noise if it had the 2 plastic parts in it.

Without the plastic, clutch pedal pushed down, you would be spinning metal on metal and noise would be expected.

trowel

Both are there, manual called the outer piece nylon thrust washer, inner piece nylon bearing, both are there and look ok but i can pull and post it here for you to see condition/wear.

rokon2813

Guess I've been lucky. I have never had a set make noise if they were all there.

I've heard people say they needed to clean them up, when dirty they may get sticky.

Or a very little bit of lube of some sort, but not enough to get any on the belts.

As for "condition", I don't think that matters as much, since all they do is keep metal from touching metal.

Have either of you tried flipping the outer plate? Maybe over time it has been worn slightly concave? Just guessing here.

Another thought, is your belt worn? A slightly narrower belt might allow the loose half of the sheave to rattle ???

Worn sheaves might also in effect make the pulley a tad wider than it should be.

Again, all guesses.

One reason I may have never had the problem is I usually add a spring or use a stronger spring on my clutches.

One more thing, is it put together too tight somehow? Without a belt on it, you should be able to spin the loose side by hand.

ss74nova

I don't think I noticed mine until I put the snowblower on maybe the added weight makes it grunt during takeoff. With the clutch pedal pushed down on mine all the time it sounds like metal on metal with that ring free wheeling. I'll have to look into the nylons someday.

ReedS

The 2110 is semi set up for pulling, clutch is somewhat tight, definitely getting the squawk on release, kinda hard to do much to it with the cab on it. It's gonna wait til it really warms up!

trowel
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Guess I've been lucky. I have never had a set make noise if they were all there.I've heard people say they needed to clean them up, when dirty they may get sticky.Or a very little bit of lube of some sort, but not enough to get any on the belts.As for "condition", I don't think that matters as much, since all they do is keep metal from touching metal.Have either of you tried flipping the outer plate? Maybe over time it has been worn slightly concave? Just guessing here.Another thought, is your belt worn? A slightly narrower belt might allow the loose half of the sheave to rattle ???Worn sheaves might also in effect make the pulley a tad wider than it should be.Again, all guesses.One reason I may have never had the problem is I usually add a spring or use a stronger spring on my clutches.One more thing, is it put together too tight somehow? Without a belt on it, you should be able to spin the loose side by hand.

id="quote">
id="quote">The belt is a little worn and do need replacing, would make sense.I will flip the outer metal thrust washer and try, will flip the outer nylon washer too. The pulley does not rattle or make a rattling sound when idling or under load, only grunts during take off in forward or reverse, not so bad at first gear but third gear seems to do it all the time and under a load, i first noted it when snow throwing up the driveway but chalked it up to the BGB bearings going out.The sheeve spins freely by hand with no troubles.As ReedS said, it also could be discribed as a squawk.

ss74nova

Come to think of it. Seems like when I put the 8" drive pulley on I noticed it. Maybe I have the clutch set too tight? I went by the manual where it says 11/16 gap.

ss74nova

Mine definately squawks on takeoff in any gear (especially 3rd) after I put the 8" drive pulley & brand new simplicity belt on. Only rattles with no load & clutch pushed in. Possibly mine may be more pronounced because it's metal to metal all the time?

ReedS

Tim, there are 2 nylon inserts that belong on these two piece pulleys. It should not be metal to metal.

One insert is a little strip that goes between the outer pulley and inner pulley, and the other sits between the outer pulley and the outer disc.

Both were still available from Simplicity the last time I checked.

trowel
quote:Originally posted by ReedS

Tim, there are 2 nylon inserts that belong on these two piece pulleys. It should not be metal to metal. One insert is a little strip that goes between the outer pulley and inner pulley, and the other sits between the outer pulley and the outer disc.Both were still available from Simplicity the last time I checked.

id="quote">
id="quote">Back for lunch and had a few min to flip the steel washer and nylon washer, still squawks at take off and now it is ringing a little at idle.Nylon bearing # 157033 superseded to # 2157033sm (inner)Nylon washer # 157032 superseded to # 2860172sm (outer)Both still available at : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jackssmallengines.com%2FParts-Lookup%2F157032%2F2254031%2FPL&ei=ipAcU9vjKobcoASbtoL4DA&usg=AFQjCNHhUVyP0ON1N44W8lXBrEVPdIRw2Q&sig2=2E7T1zB9gBjbQ_Ito99ruw&bvm=bv.62578216,d.cGU&cad=rja

trowel

I might try new nylon washers/bearing, some silicone was sprayed on the washer and it helped for a while, then it came back.

The manual states the out put shaft shim tolerance, will check that when i get a chance.