Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Stupid question #1934 6 speed vs 3 speed

donmoore1904

The thread on changing a 3 speed to a 6 speed (what I can infer from the discussion) leads me to finally satisfy my curiosity and ask what the difference is.

From what I read, it sounded as though a 6 speed might be a 3 speed tranny with pulleys added. Please forgive me if I am way off base, but is this the case or is there actually a 6 speed tranny?

/end stupid question

If you are familiar with folks using a large (8" or 10") pulley on the early 3-speeds, to slow them down for tilling...well, that is exactly what the 6 speed tractor adds, but in such a fashion, that both size pulley sets reside side by side. Each has it's own belt, and shifting from 'Hi' to 'Lo' is done by applying the clutch, and engaging one of the 2 belts with the range selector. Quite simply, it moves the idler/tensioner pulley from the 'Hi' pulley set, to the 'Lo' pulley set, and vice versa.

It's actually a nice, reliable setup. Plus, if you happen to toast a belt, you still have one to use to get you back to the garage! ;)

I had one. I am a hydro guy thru and thru, but it was impressive. You could pull a house with it! Once the mechanics were free it was silky smooth!

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Plus, if you happen to toast a belt, you still have one to use to get you back to the garage! ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Speaking from experience Josh???:D:D

Originally posted by timflury
quote:
id="quote">Kinda...too cheap to buy a second belt! ;) Each pulley set uses the same size, so once upon a time there was a 716-6 I used that only had one belt, and I manually moved the belt to the 'Lo' set for tilling, then back for beer runs up to the house. ^

I should note, for anyone in a similar, single-belt situation with a 6-speed tractor...if you find yourself at the garden and begin to run low on beer, and have no intention of manually moving the belt over to 'Hi', leave EARLY on your tractor, to return to the garage for replenishment. It takes a while to get there in 'Lo', and you may run out during the trip. Another option is to bring extra beers to the garden...but they may get warm, and that presents an entirely different problem. You could also bring a cooler, in some creative fashion, on or behind the 6-speed...but if you have to take a cooler to till the garden, you have bigger problems than I can advise on.

I hope this helps someone. Mark? Tim? Ray? Mike? :Q

I thought that was the significant other's job, keeping the working partner refreshed with beverages....

Not the best pictures, but hopefully this can clear it all up;

IMAG00401.jpg

My current 3 speed; one set of pulleys and one belt.

IMGP7039.jpg

The 6 speed setup I'm going to; two sets of pulleys and two belts. A low speed kit run in parallel with the normal set. A lever moves the idler in and out to apply tension to only one belt, thereby selecting the range.I bought my 3416 as a shuttle with a broken axle tube and missing diff. I swapped in a 3410 3 speed as a stop-gap measure until I either repaired the shuttle (it actually came with a brand new tube, just not installed, but no diff), acquired a hydro, or found some other option. I acquired a vickers unit to put in, but right at that time my father's 3414H started acting up and it made me weary about putting a pump in mine, and I thought it may be best to keep it around as a potential donor for his. [His 3414H is pristine original; previous owner used it to cut something like a 25' x 25' piece of grass in the city!] Soon after that we picked up a 7013S that had a busted shuttle, added that to a previous 7117 that had a bad bearing in the planetary of the shuttle and I started getting weary about shuttles. Meanwhile the 3 speed has been bullet proof while the rest of this has been going on. Enter this most current deal, a friend who bartered for a 710 6 speed that he's going to give me for working out some minor issues on his 7010 and I can keep the bullet proof 3 speed while adding the least possible number of 'things that can break' to the setup and get a low range for tilling and deep snow and still keep a high range for moving about. None of that is to say that I have a bad opinion of shuttles or hydros. I've acquired a few of each and they work well. I just want to keep this one as easy to work on as possible as it's my worker and the most likely for me to push too hard and break.[sorry for the long-winded post]

IMAG00401.jpg.10455a9e71cb76e8ccb5cf8da4741e51.jpg

IMGP7039.jpg.2c05b9e9d0b1ab459e9aeade1c4dfb00.jpg

WEW,

Now that we got that perfectly clear!;)

Nice pics Brian!! Those show EXACTLY what the original poster wanted to know! dOd

quote:

but if you have to take a cooler to till the garden, you have bigger problems than I can advise on.

I hope this helps someone. Mark? Tim? Ray? Mike?

So Josh,

In other words, the moral of the story is to have a sippin beverage like Scotch instead of beer? ^

Awesome replies, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for the education.

And now for an associated question-->

In the 7010 manual for my 3 speed, it has a chart (@3600 rpm):

------Standard---Low Speed Kit

1st----1.5mph-----.96mph

2nd----3.5mph------2.3mph

3rd----5.8mph------3.7mph

Looking at Brian's picture, it looks like the outboard front pulley is smaller than mine. Could it be that the 6 speed ground speeds are similar to those in this chart? In other words, the 6 speed adds a lower range that is the equivalent of the Low Speed Kit? I assume that the Low Range Kit for a 3 speed tractor replaced the front pulley with a smaller than stock one?

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

So Josh, In other words, the moral of the story is to have a sippin beverage like Scotch instead of beer? ^

id="quote">
id="quote">I knew I could count on you for the perfect solution...We just 'get' each other!:D

quote:Originally posted by donmoore1904

Awesome replies, and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you for the education.And now for an associated question-->In the 7010 manual for my 3 speed, it has a chart (@3600 rpm):------Standard---Low Speed Kit1st----1.5mph-----.96mph2nd----3.5mph------2.3mph3rd----5.8mph------3.7mphLooking at Brian's picture, it looks like the outboard front pulley is smaller than mine. Could it be that the 6 speed ground speeds are similar to those in this chart? In other words, the 6 speed adds a lower range that is the equivalent of the Low Speed Kit? I assume that the Low Range Kit for a 3 speed tractor replaced the front pulley with a smaller than stock one?

id="quote">
id="quote">If I'm not mistaken the "low speed kit" for a 7010 is just a larger rear pulley, new belt and belt guard.It does give close to the same speeds as a 7010 6 speedManual 6-speed transmission:Forward speeds .7-6.1 mph

My garden is only 12'x20'. It takes about ten minutes to plow, and about a half hour to till going both directions.

Now if I pack a cooler of coldies???sm00sm00:D

quote:Originally posted by donmoore1904

The thread on changing a 3 speed to a 6 speed (what I can infer from the discussion) leads me to finally satisfy my curiosity and ask what the difference is.From what I read, it sounded as though a 6 speed might be a 3 speed tranny with pulleys added. Please forgive me if I am way off base, but is this the case or is there actually a 6 speed tranny?/end stupid question

id="quote">
id="quote">Don, this wasn't a stupid question at all! 8D

6-speed

Gear ---- High Mph-----Low Mph

1 ---------1.6----------0.7

2 ---------3.7----------1.7

3 ---------6.1----------2.8

R ---------3.2----------1.5