Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How many amps is the charging system on a '78 7012

Torino

I can't find any values in the operators book, but the book for a 1978 7012, product number 1690352, shows dual circuit wiring diagram and those are typically 3-5 amps DC (Battery)and 60 watts AC (Headlights).

I think both answers are correct. The Kohler's typically have a 15 amp capacity and the Briggs in Simplicity's have the dual circuit alternator. The Kohler K301 may not be the original engine. I would think a 7012 would have had a Briggs engine.

quote:Originally posted by CarlH

I think both answers are correct. The Kohler's typically have a 15 amp capacity and the Briggs in Simplicity's have the dual circuit alternator. The Kohler K301 may not be the original engine. I would think a 7012 would have had a Briggs engine.

id="quote">
id="quote">Karl, I agree, however, I downloaded the '78 version 7012/16 operators manual and it does indeed say both for Briggs 16HP and Kohler 12 HP , the dual circuit was offered. I own 718, a '78 with a Kohler 18 HP engine and it also has a dual circuit charge system, along with an electric lift. I replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter meter and was surprised how quick the voltage recovers after running the lift.^ http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8coJ3rE5CNj5kbp796Dq.pdf

quote:Originally posted by Torino

How do you know for sure? I do not see a rectifier so does that mean it's 3-5 amp?

id="quote">
id="quote">That's correct, one (black) wire will eventually find its way to the battery, probably via the ignition switch and the other (yellow) will be more direct to the headlight switch.