Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Auto Style coil on ''79 vintage Briggs.

jackcobb

Have a ''79 vintage Briggs 326431-0020-01. We've tried put new plugs, points, a new coil in it. It will start but after awhile loose spark / weak spark. We are thinking its magnets on the flywheel. Does anyone have a flywheel or better yet, is there a way to put an external auto coil on the engine and by-pass the need for the flywheel and it's magnets?

Switchable (on/off) hot wire to coil. Wire from coil to points. Spark plug wire from coil to to spark plug. Using a coil from Kohler will be easiest. But proper car cil cheaper

If it keeps on starting, I doubt if you are loosing magnetism. Try adjusting your points like was done in the sixties thru the dwell door with the plug out and rolling it over with the starter. I did one where I closed my points down to .013 for the best quality spark thru the tester.

I just use used coils from kohler k series single cylinders. The Briggs start and run better in my opinion with that setup. You would have to also use the battery ignition key switch from same kohler powered tractor as the coil came from and do a minor amount of wire changes.

How you been Jack?

Been well Sam. This is the Briggs engine in the Homelite I bought from you about 10 years ago. Been wrestling this for about two years on and off. Time to do the external coil. How are things with you?

quote:Originally posted by jackcobb

We've tried put new plugs, points, a new coil in it. It will start but after awhile loose spark / weak spark.

id="quote">
id="quote">You mention everything but the condenser.Did you put a new one in?

LOL, guess I'm ole school. When I mentioned points, it's always points and condenser. In fact we threw a couple condensers only along the way.

quote:Originally posted by jackcobb

Been well Sam. This is the Briggs engine in the Homelite I bought from you about 10 years ago. Been wrestling this for about two years on and off. Time to do the external coil. How are things with you?

id="quote">
id="quote">Hehe..I was tryin to remember a while back who I sold that to:DStill hangin in here. I quit selling tractor stuff a few years back, but still play with them and do some creative builds once in a whileI got a briggs here to swap a kohler coil into too when It warms up and dries out.