Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mldmkr1960

Best Size Rear Tires

mldmkr1960

I have a bunch of tractors I'm working on. The one that runs is a 7114 with a new 18hp Briggs I just put in it. It came with bald 23"x10.5"x12" on it. I have a 7012 that has 23"x8.5"x12 on it. I'm not planning on doing anything in particlar with it other than messing around with it for fun but would like to know what are the advantages or cons of one or the other. It did look like the wider tires would have a problem with putting chains on but I dont know and thoughts??

huffy

I guess it depends on what you intend to do. I see lots of guys go with wider tires because they like the looks. And for mowing wide turfs on back would probably be preferable. But for snow removal, tilling, etc, I like narrower tires so they cut down to solid ground rather than try to float, fit in the plow furrow, etc.

Paul_B

I have 23"x10.5"x12" on my Sovereign that I use to blow snow. Chain fit just fine. My second Sovereign I use for mowing has 24"x24"x12" tires on it. I prefer wider tires for mowing to spread the load.

donmoore1904
quote:Originally posted by huffy

I guess it depends on what you intend to do. I see lots of guys go with wider tires because they like the looks. And for mowing wide turfs on back would probably be preferable. But for snow removal, tilling, etc, I like narrower tires so they cut down to solid ground rather than try to float, fit in the plow furrow, etc.

id="quote">
id="quote">Agreed. For plowing snow, I like the tire to be able to cut through readily so the chains can grab.

steve-wis

Ags with chains work very well. I have 23X10.5-12's on my T816. They are half worn turfs and with chains I have no problem in snow at all. The 810GT I used to blow snow with had 20X10-10 ag tires with chains and they worked the same, hardly ever spin and never been stuck with either one. Both worked well mowing also, without the chains, of course.:D

rokon2813

Ags will work well with 2 link chains. 4 link tend to be spaced too far apart and fall between the ag lugs so they don't bite much.

This topic has been debated for years, but the best overall combination is turf tires with 2 link ice cleat chains.

As long as you don't have a blacktop or concrete driveway. ;)

BLT

I have a 36" blower and use ATV tires mounted on 6" rims. So far so good in second season. Haven't got really stuck yet. Tires were only $38 a pair used plus $20 for rims.

Snowwinter12%2022%2013%20c.jpg

BLT
quote:Originally posted by Burntime

Bob, its not the ballast that's keeping traction is it? Lol. Just razzin. Really though, the atv tires do seem pretty nice!

id="quote">
id="quote">At my age it's that chemical thing, when the iron in your blood turns to lead.......:D;)