Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire Bead Leak

Cheap_Dave

I just mounted 2 brand new 12" 4 ply bar tread tubeless tires. When I checked, both had very small leaks around the beads. I dismounted them and again wire brushed and sanded the wheels. Still had very small leaks. I really dislike tubes, so dismounted the tires again and ran a bead of painters caulk around the wheels. No more leaks. Don't know how this will hold up long term, but if I have a problem I'll post it.

Dutch, Brake fluid, rubber lube, silicon spray, etc. all work to help seal bead leaks. Anything that makes the tire bead & rim slick and/or slightly softens the bead rubber will work. I'll be interested in the painters caulk works out for you. Roy

Dutch, Wonder about how well the bead will hold up under high traction situations. I don't like tubes either but about half of my tractors and all of the pullers have them so we can pull with 2 or 3 pounds of air in the tires. Ron

Any tire store has bead sealing compound.Loosen bead,make sure surfaces are clean, they dob this black stuff around bead an re air tire//fixed// AND most importantly it can be dismounted later // it wont stick.