Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

tiller bearing removal

mike_sdak

Hello.

I am struggling to tear apart my 36" tiller (large frame RBT) to get at the broken chain. I have one tine shaft pulled off, and now am trying to remove the lock collars on that side. The set screw on the tine shaft bearing seems to be frozen. I twisted off one cheap hex bit, and rounded off an allen wrench. Are there impact bits for something like this? I do have an impact wrench and impact driver. Or is there an easier way?

GrincheyOne

Mike, go with the heat, as suggested, follow that with a liberal application of PB-Blaster. Wait overnite, and try aiain! If the collar/bearing is anything like my oldest tiller, it is an eccentric (like most of US) locking collar.

Cheers,

Wayne

mike_sdak

Well,

The set screw never did budge. I proceeded to tie into the collar with my dremel and a cold chisel. Then, when it was nearly cut through, I was able to rotate it with a punch. I removed the bearing, and am hoping I don't need to remove the other tine shaft....

mike_sdak

Well....

I managed to get inside the chain case. Whew.

One of the #40 chains had slipped off the sprocket. I was a bit surprised, expecting to see a broken chain instead. Someone had been in the chain case before, as one chain was a Link-belt, one was a Diamond, and one was a "Japan". The #40 chains appear to be 27 links and the #50 is 22 links. One of the #40's slipped off the sprocket (link belt which is probably OEM). The other #40 (Japan) seemed pretty darn loose on the sprocket. How does a person check wear on a chain?

The sprockets look decent (I think) so I think it is a case of worn chains. I don't know if anyone else has had a chain failure like that or not. I will probably replace them all, given the amount of hassle associated with this.

The bearings? I plan to replace the ones I have removed, and maybe the others if I can remove the tine shaft. Anyone have part numbers for cross-reference bearings? I will probably pick them up here in town.