Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1st year of B-10 and Big Ten ??

farmtoybuilder

Doing some research on First B-10's and Big Ten's. Is 1964 first year for B10? Or were some made in 63? All info and literature I have is dated 64. Then was Big Ten available in late 1965? New AC logo wasn't made until late 65! So I'm thinking 1966 was 1st year for it? As the product information and comparision sheets are dated March 1966 on it. And I have a pocket card with price list on one side dated LG-149/6512 and it has 66 calander on other side. Also listed Sept. 66 price book with the new Bee B10 & B12 tractors. Confused yet, I Am! Literature on Bee 10's 12's start 1966 on them. But I have AC letter to all dealers and has new Outdoor Product Information sheet on them dated feb.13,1967. Maybe it was suppose to be dated 66? Then in fall 67 the B-110 and 112's were available and are listed in Sept. 67 price list with all the above.

Hope some of you can provide some more info and help me out!

Thanks for your post!

Yes I have that info saved as well. But its confusing with dealer info we have and date codes on them. And new triangle emblem didn't come until late 65. And big ten info on simple tractors shows new logo with a date 64 which isn't correct! http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/big_ten/big_ten.htm

Source: Allis-Chalmers Lawn and Garden brochure, Big New Style for the New Big Ten Tractor, Form LG-143, June 1964, courtesy of Sam Erickson

And Big Ten dealer info has March 66 on it! Very Confusing!

I'll have to do some searching through Dads old records and tickets to see if he sold any in 65. Pictures we have of new ones on lot is 66 also.

Have that list too!

What I'm trying to say is this info doesn't jive with information sent to AC dealers and with date codes printed on them and the literature.

Example: Big Ten pictures of real ones and literature have new tri-angle emblems which didn't come until about untilmid 1965. Dealer info sent to dealer on new Big Ten dated March 1966! And its still on cover of price list & price list sept. 66. So if some were produced in 65, it would have been late? and list should have them sold in 66 as well.

Same for the new Bee 10-12's first info was 9-66 and price list 9-66 and on cover of feb. 67 price list and most literature printed 3-67 for them! And then September 67, B110 and 112's came about.

So I'm still hoping for more info. Any one here buy a new Big Ten in 65? or have one that engine is 65?

Jeff, I believe you are correct and the reference sheets are wrong. You can go to the Simplicity engine information manual and it is a year off from what is listed in the Belt & Blade manual. Its just not that accurate.

The closest you can get on a Briggs powered unit, would be about 30 days after the date code on the engine provided the engine is an original. And a best guess is for the production year would be from July prior to March following, give or take, the actual year and the remaining calendar would be for snow machinery.

I don't think you can use the price lists for indication of model year. Many of the price lists I have seen have current year, with previous year's models included. I think they were meant to communicate pricing on anything a dealer may still have on the floor, not 'new' models. Those need to be removed from the equation.

Additionally, print dates for supplements don't really indicate mfg year either. Some were printed before a model was made available, others, well after. I think it's long been thought that the Big Ten was a '65 model year tractor, that saw production well into '66, when the B-10/12 were introduced. I can't recall what the date on the Briggs is on my Big Ten, but will take a look.

Simplicity &offered so many models, in such a short period of time, that even if they had tracked build date by serial #, we would probably still see overlap in model years.

True Josh! And I think some were made and sold in 65? but I think most were sold in 66! Confusing part is new big ten product information sheets were dated 66. Most time new product information and such got to dealers before the tractors And units were ordered then as well. We don't have a big ten in our collection yet, so I can't check an engine date. Those of you that have big tens, If you could let me know years of yours I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

It's not nearly as confusing as you're making it out to be...

1964 = Early B-10, 9HP

1965-1966 = Big Ten

1967 = Bumblebee B-10/B-12, though some may have been sold in late 1966

The dates at the bottom of the pages on Simple trACtors is a citation of the publication date of the form/brochure/booklet, along with credit to person who provided it. Nothing more, nothing less...

You can "reverse engineer" the dates I summarized above, using the Simplicity info of http://simpletractors.com/made_when/1964-1967.htm cross-referenced with http://simpletractors.com/Main/x-ref_table.htm

quote:Originally posted by Killer_A-C

id="quote">
id="quote">The engine was built Nov 22 1965 line 1. My guess your engine was slated for a 1966 MY tractor built in late December 1965 or early January 1966. The model engine for both Simplicity and A-C is 243431 Type 0123-01

Thanks For the replys! And I was correct in my thinking that some big tens were built in late 65 and most were sold in 66. We're working on a B series project. More info down the road.

Jeff