Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What in the world...

TFF

This picture is of a Wards engine in a Simplicity I picked up. Silly question, but is the box in the upper corner some "add-on" breaker points???

engine.jpg

engine.jpg.c1303178de2fb9df56b51876f0d24462.jpg

The pic is too small for me to tell for sure, but the item appears to be the voltage regulator for the S/G with it's protective cover removed.

Also looks like a Briggs engine to me. I have no idea about a Wards engine. Maybe Briggs made engines for Ward that they rebranded?

FYI.

You will see different names on Briggs engines from time to time. Craftsman is another example of a briggs engine with a different name on it.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

That is supposed to be mounted under the dash assembly.

id="quote">
id="quote">First off Tom, Welcome to the club! And how did you make out from the car port collapse?The jungle appears to be the result of a confused implementation of key start modification to an earlier Simp. Model!I do not think it is an aerial view of either your B110, or 7000 machines.Please get a cover on that V/R, weather/dust/moisture will certainly raise dickens with it. If you need a cover, Holler!Cheers,Wayne

Thanks Wayne - still fighting the insurance company. They'll cover my cruddy $300 shed, but not my carport. The carport company - Carolina Carports - offered to replace the carport! The B110 was hardly damaged. Tires were flat, but no apparent damage. Still too much snow to get it out. Even the lift rod looks OK. This machine is a mess - the hood is labeled Sovereign Hydro 18, engine is a 12 HP Wards made by Briggs, but I'm not confident what it is - I can't read the label. I'll post some pics. I have the regulator cover, but thanks. I rebuilt the carb but am still having trouble starting it. Spark is good. Seems to be getting gas - I'm wondering if the wire jungle is giving it some bad vibes....

They likely just put the only hood decals on it they could still get from Simplicity. The engine is probably from a Montgomery Ward Squire built by Gilson. Get the MFR number from the tractor and that will reveal what model the tractor originally was.

quote:Originally posted by TFF

{snip} This machine is a mess - the hood is labeled Sovereign Hydro 18, engine is a 12 HP Wards made by Briggs, but I'm not confident what it is - I can't read the label. {snip}

id="quote">
id="quote">Is your flywheel on upside down? Now THAT would be a real mess, from what I heard once seemingly years ago.