Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

trowel

grader blade modified from dozer blade

trowel

Thinking of converting a older 42 '' dozer blade into a mid mount grader blade if can be had cheaply.

Read and seen pictures of the conversion, seems rather simple.

Cut off lifting handle from A-frame, cut pivot bracket off blade, cut down blade to 8 inches, weld or bolt pivot bracket onto blade, ad lifting tap to A-frame.

What do you guys advise ?

GrincheyOne

Jesse,

One of the most common problems with any dozer/grader blade, is contending with hard packed earth, and/or packed gravel. DR Power has a 48" scarifier replacement part, with carbide tipped blades. See link, as a bolt on to a mid mount grader, it might be more cost-effective to use this pre-built unit vs scratch building. (about $11 / tooth).

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/power-graders/accessories/complete-set-scarifying-teeth-1-bar-12-teeth-pgr.axd

Cheers,

Wayne

trowel

RickS

Dutch is no longer with us. But his grader blades live on if you can find a member willing to part with theirs. I have one and it is great. That said it is not for sale.

Rick.....

trowel

I looked him up, see he passed away, my condolences.Below is my small walk behind/stand on horse drawn or garden tractor ditcher/grader i built closely following the Owensboro Ditcher/Grader Co, Martin Ditcher/Grader.At the time i was set up for metal casting and blacksmithing, coal could be had cheaply. My advices on the ditcher came from : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fhwa.dot.gov%2Fenvironment%2Frecreational_trails%2Fpublications%2Ffs_publications%2F96232802%2Fequip.cfm&ei=v8AhU_SBDdLfoATelYKYBQ&usg=AFQjCNEKsFqmCdPc8sdmEFRm_-54-3loNQ&sig2=5_4wKKcGIpRsL0qejleY0w&bvm=bv.62922401,d.cGUThe original individual who modified the Beatty ditcher passed away several years ago, he was instrumental in the build and use of my ditcher.My ditcher was modified several times throughout the years honing in the moldboard angle and beam shoe, the moaldbord was cold forged from a old water tank, weld hardened the cutting edge and moldboard.I never added a cutter to the beam point.The serrated or scarifier blade would be great for driveways, yards etc..as a ditcher, it would not work very well, i pulled out all my note and i reviewing them right now.I hated the Hinker grader for the Hesston, plow points were not offered for the cutting edge so it tended to drag instead of cut, always wanted to used the motor grader blade with the plow points but would not fit the Hinker.My Ditcher/Grader :

grader_ditcher.jpg

grader_ditcher1.jpg

grader_ditcher2.jpg

grader_ditcher.jpg.1ec799e174002c4aa499b9adfa988613.jpg

grader_ditcher1.jpg.25b084ca6f283ade1b4af5a9611f1fd1.jpg

grader_ditcher2.jpg.555ce1e2f8bc0c398f764672ed1cfdee.jpg

trowel

Was studying the OEM grader blade set up and it hit me, the whole set up is already mounted to a pivot via the front axle, if one was the start a fresh ditch i could see one starting it with a shovel to place the front axle in automatically setting the blade at ditching angle.

In ditching the plow points are as they are called on motor graders bit ends/side cutters are add ons, tracked dozer blades have them also. I could see bolt on cutter bits or a blade with the cutter bits built into it.

In the above pictures of my ditcher you are looking at more or less half a grader blade held in place or balanced for better lack of words by the draft angle, landslide, shoe and beam.

GLPointon

Those are both neat designs!!

jh I like the "pusher style" as the rear hitch is heavier duty than the front axle mount

Greg what is the top rod for? looks like it will pivot? does that lock it in at 180* for pushing backwards maybe??

GregB

That portion is actually a Brinly box blade set-up. And yes you can angle the blade or reverse it 180°. I bought an extra blade mount so that I can easily switch from the toothed blade to the actual box scraper, by pulling the pivot pin.

mbinwi

I have accumulated 3 of the dozer blades the last couple of years, so I'm using one to do a build like this. Only thing is, I'm making it fit my "green" project (JD 210) and using it on the gravel drive and pier access road up north, so I'll be mixin the orange with the green......it is St. Patty's Day, so......like mixing tomato juice with my green beer? ......that was bad, never mind, I'll just shut up and go back to my model trains and wait for nice weather!

Mike.

trowel

It looks like i will be building this one from scratch for this spring.

Plows are hard to find here apparently, lucky for Josh to be finding them for $ 30 a pop, over a $ 100 everywere i look on the east coast and have to drive many miles which adds up to the cost of the plow.

No quick finds here unless i get lucky so i stated gathering steel today.

Seller in Sunderland has a 42'' blade without the frame im going after.