Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine rebuild kit source

hotwire

Hey fellas,

Looking for a source for a rebuild kit for my 13HP briggs motor on my '75 JC Penny (7013S) motor code 302431. I just bought what i thought was a good donor tractor, but once i started going over it at the house realized it's not as good as i thought, which stinks. Any help apreciated. Thanks.

You will have to buy the parts individually. Briggs doesn`t sell kits. The piston is more than likely NLA now, but there maybe NOS on ebay. You can also bore it out to a 16hp if needed the rest of the part numbers are the same the last time I looked (more than once).

IMO I am not sure that a rebuild is worth your time and money. 12hp Briggs engines are a dime a dozen in my area. I have purchased numerous older non restorable tractors in the $40-50 range...pulled the engine and scraped the tractors.

By the time you buy a NLA NOS piston and do all the work, unless your tractor is a real special to you item, it may not be worth your time. I would think you would be better off with a swap out but thats just my thing and it may not be feasible in your area if there is a lack of used beater tractors to choose from.

Best of luck on your project!

Brad,

The 12-13HP C.I. single pistons are way, way no longer available; even in aftermarket (Chinese) options. If you want to keep the engine/rebuild it, the best solution is to bore it out to the 14-16HP 32 cubic inch size (Bore=3.5615").

Here is a guy that has been selling 16HP rebuild aftermarket kits for a while:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Briggs-and-Stratton-Cast-Iron-14-16-hp-rebuild-NEW-/120876784849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c24d15cd1

Timothy,

Your reference to the 12HP rebuild kit on eBay is totally wrong for the 12-13HP C.I. 300431 singles; this kit looks to be for the 10-13HP VERTICAL L-head singles. Look at con-rod and gaskets and piston.

Tom (PK)

The problem with buying a used machine for the engine is that if you're going to keep it for long, its probably not much better than what you have. I have had old engines that ran alright one day, then the next day had no compression and possible broken rings. If you rebuild it properly then you at least know what you have and should be able to expect it to last 20-30 years with proper care.

thanks for the replies guys. Well..... i scattered the original engine in my '75 Penny a couple years ago and have been using the '66 landlord (that i got from a good friend, his grandfather bought it new in '66)for all my mowing and yard work. The landlord works great, but i want to use it more for yard work and not weekly mowing. The Penny was bought by my father-in-law new in '75 and id like to keep it running and correct. Plus, I'm 6'3 and fit much better on the Penny 7013. ;-) i have the original motor (rod cap broke, crank came around and broke the rod which broke the piston skirt). the crank and cylinder and head look to be in good condition. I also have this new motor, but it needs to be bored and rebuilt. I am thinking of having the original motor miced, and see if i can get the parts to re-build. i cant spend a fortune, but if i can find parts, its what i want to do. you can see a pic of both of the tractors in my profile. They both mean alot to me. so, if anyone does come across any sources for the parts, please do what you can to let me know. Anyone have a fresh motor laying around you will sell for $250.00?... ha. Thanks again guys. Also, i need to get the shop manual for the engine to help in disassembly and reassembly. Anyone have a line on that? I have the owner operating guide, the parts lists and the large frame tractor service and repair manual, but none of these touch on the briggs 13 rebuild.