Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller pulley removal

mike_sdak

Sort of related to my other post, how does one remove the drive pulley on the tiller? I was able to remove everything in the chain case, and am preparing to assemble it. I noticed that the input bearing on the pulley side is pretty loose. I was able to remove the set screw on the pulley, but it appears to be rusted pretty solid.

Is there a special sort of puller for this operation?

Thanks in advance,

Remove the set screw and spray penetrating lubricant in the hole, remove the rust from the end of shaft. A air hammer works best or a long chisel and hammer. A puller will ruin the pulley.

Well,

Got her to come off, with the help of my neighbor tonight. We pounded the pulley on the shaft farther, with the help of a socket like tool (steel pipe with end welded shut). After that, it came pretty easily.

I may forgo replacing the remaining tine shaft bearing, after hearing him talk about how hard the other shaft came off....

Also, the sprockets do show some wear. He suggested reversing the tine sprocket If I were to remove the other tube shaft. I don't know how much wear is normal when rebuilding one of these, or how tight the chains need to be.