Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Squire 9 differential help

trowel

Teaching me all kinds of new things, tighten up the front axle this morning, while diving up the driveway the differential just stoppped turning, no jurk or noise, it just stopped turning both wheels.

The tranny and axle still turns while running when in gear but the inner axle is not turning, i loosened and tightened the two offset bolts inside the wheel to 10 lb to no avail.

She is stuck were it sits.

Jesse try this,

Maybe the locking collar on the left axle loosened up & the gears moved away from each other. Don't know if this will fix it but you can try to tighten the locking collar by doing this. Jack the rear up so the tires are off the ground, loosen the square head set screw on the locking collar on the left axle. Push the right axle & wheel assembly inward. Slide the locking collar on the left axle inward all the way & tighten the square head set screw. Lower tractor & see if it helped. Other possible causes could be sheared key or broken axle tube. Hope this helps.

Tim

Thanks Tim, i will try it in the morning.

Just in case, even though the diff. and axles are spinning the inner axle is not turning the wheels, does that sound like the key sheared off ?

Was not loosesm02 Axle is fine (thank god) differential gear broke off the drive hub. Allis is now a parts tractor until diff gear rebuilt, could you guys give me some advice on the rebuild. I see about 6 tension pins.Pictures below :

squire9_diff.jpg

squire9_diff1.jpg

squire9_diff2.jpg

squire9_diff.jpg.af824ff720e44644a5f2112db7325b9b.jpg

squire9_diff1.jpg.8956bc5cc333d25f9610ec31884205ea.jpg

squire9_diff2.jpg.4c10ead44a03695d74c48cdf65f0474d.jpg

Thanks for that, show assy of the Diff which is good.

nice to see Squire move under it's own power again until the original hub is rebuilt.

Haven't seen that before. Looks like the gear is held to the hub with hardened roll pins. They might be difficult to remove from the blind holes in the hub. An option might be to rotate the gear 30 deg. and re-drill the hub, but it almost looks like that's already been done. If your gear is alright and you're in need of a hub, I'd be happy to donate the one with the bad gear shown in the link above.

John

quote:Originally posted by John_RI

Haven't seen that before. Looks like the gear is held to the hub with hardened roll pins. They might be difficult to remove from the blind holes in the hub. An option might be to rotate the gear 30 deg. and re-drill the hub, but it almost looks like that's already been done. If your gear is alright and you're in need of a hub, I'd be happy to donate the one with the bad gear shown in the link above. John

id="quote">
id="quote">Im thinking your right, there are extra holes, it seems the hub could be reused but it would have to be baby'ed so im willing to take you up on your offer of the hub.The gear looks good with all the teeth, scuffed a bit on the backside from the roll pin, the sleeve it sits on looks good to with no damage.For now Allis B10 donated her hub/diff gear.