Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Painting Question

sispro

If you are using rattle cans...follow instructions on the can. Temp and humidity are key factors on cure time. Remember the MOST important step of any paint job is PREP. Use a good primer and take your time on the prep of the surface you are painting. I have seen 1st hand awesome paint jobs just peel away after drying due to poor prep of the surface area.

Good luck on your project!

If you have a air compressor it is a lot cheaper to paint that way then buying a bunch of spray cans. The paint is better quality and you can add a hardener. Plus you can get better primers. The red oxide and gray oxide primers are junk. Have to agree metal prep is the most important part and then the primer. There are primers out there that are better than the paint.

I like to paint in one or two coats, but that never happens here. Lucky if you can get by with three or four. With a hardener or not in some cases in the paint you can paint again as soon as it is tacky. If you let it dry you may have to wait 24 hrs. or longer for it to cure a bit to scuff it up. It all depends on the paint used, the manufactures instructions, humidity, ect.

If using OEM Simplicity or AGCO paint they have the sorriest instrctions on the can.

I like to do 2 coats, both in the same day. I pick the day based on temp and humidity. I like to begin early, but it's often too humid in the mornings until the sun warms and dries things up.

Prep is key, so I take my time and do that shortly before I know I'm targeting a paint day, then go back over everything the evening before, or morning of. I like to get everything staged, in an area away from wind, and preferably, early enough in the season to avoid bugs. I have always used the primer recommended by my paint, or paint source, or recommendations by folks I trust.

I mix my paint with hardener, by the instructions, and then eyeball whether or not it's thin enough for me and my gun to be happy with it...I will sometimes then add some more to get where I want to be. The hardener will need time to react with the paint, before you can spray.

I shoot coat #1, and by the time I'm through hitting every component, things are tacky and I can go back and shoot coat #2 where I started the first time. (Depending on how much you are painting, you probably have time in there to refill your gun a time or two) Too much paint, too soon, yields runs. I'd prefer to go light, and maybe require a 3rd coat, than push too much thin paint through the gun and get runs.

Some very good info I have painted many tractors but have always felt like I am not doing some right or just don't feel right.