Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Recent clubhouse problems, new version, etc.

Kent

With the recurring problems with the ODBC drivers for the clubhouse database on the server, I finally gave up and changed to the Microsoft Jet database drivers today. They're supposed to be more reliable and faster... We'll see! Sorry for the recurring problems... I hope this will fix it, until I can get the new version of the clubhouse finished. Here's what I've been working on... While it remains a Microsoft Access database, it uses slightly different database formats (truly relational), and stored procedures on the server for quicker response -- or at least that's the claim. This approach allows a few sigificant improvements: (1) a change in email address (for example) automatically flows to every message or ad you've ever posted, your registry entries, and your member profile; (2) you can delete an ad or message you've posted and it automatically deletes all replies or followups; (3) likewise, when a member is deleted, it deletes all ads, registry entries and discussion messages. Simultaneously, I'm incorporating a new security system that: (1) uses a 2-step "joining" process, requiring you to respond to an email, and consequently forcing a new member to provide a valid email address; (2) it allows you to choose whether or not you want to set a user cookie, and (3) you can request your password if you've forgotten it, and it will automatically email it to you. We currently have over 200 duplicate membership records in the database, where people have forgotten their password and joined multiple times, or they've had other problems and joined again. I usually get 2 to 5 requests a day for forgotten passwords.... This security system, with it's built-in mailer, will allow me to periodically "bulk mail" all members to confirm that their email address is valid, and delete anyone whose email is repeatedly rejected/returned. It will also provide the foundation for a requested enhancement -- allowing you to check a box when you post a message or ad, and automatically get notified via email when anyone responds or replies... I'm not sure if that will get done for the first release of the new version -- it may wait until I'm sure that v3.0 of the clubhouse is totally debugged... The new version will also fix a couple of intermittent problems for Netscape users, such as when sorting the membership lists. With my luck, it'll introduce others... 8o) Just wanted you to understand that I haven't been ignoring the site or the clubhouse, just busy elsewhere that isn't too visible yet (in addition to working on my tractor, holidays, etc.). I hope to have the new version of the clubhouse available for previewing in a few weeks, unless something unforeseen comes up.... Again, sorry about the reliability problems -- I hope I've fixed it with the new drivers. Happy New Year to all, Kent

Kent - Hope it makes it easier for you. The bit of down time yesterday morning and today makes me realize how much I enjoy visiting the site and what a great job you do with it. Peter