Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 725 Tire Options

ss74nova

Simplicity 725 Tire OptionsMy rear tires are dryrotted pretty good. Seem to hold air OK. May last a while. Looking for origonal looking skinny 6-12 replacement turf tires. Not much out there in turfs. Miller tire & Ebay have Firestone Town & Country turfs but not really the tread I was looking for, plus they're $120 a piece new!:o Anybody know any others for sale used or new that are not too dryrotted?I'm replacing the wide front tires to the narrow ones. Found these on Walmart's site. Carlisle stud 480/400-8 2 ply $23 each.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-Stud-480-4-Ply00-8-2-Lawn-and-Garden-Tire/23597418Should I use tubes in any of my tires or should I try them without?Thanks,Tim

CIMG2880.jpg

CIMG2881.jpg

CIMG2882.jpg

CIMG2880.jpg.90f08e2fe68071dbd8e29114cbe521a4.jpg

CIMG2881.jpg.dbbf5b6be295ebaf456be3894bc0195a.jpg

CIMG2882.jpg.85c0b6d47a4a25b8360742020e5bf0c2.jpg

Tim,

Tubes add about $8-10 per wheel, and may not be suitable for liquid loading later. If you are going for 2 ply tires, it would add additional stability to the tire. Ideally tubes should be used along with liners. I priced Carlisle Super Lugs (20x10.5-8) to replace 18-8.50-8 aged turf tires. These were priced at $87.50 each plus tax at Millers in Blooming Glen.

These were for my 4212G. I got my pair of Super Lugs from a member (new tires) $100, plus shipping.

Cheers,

Wayne

quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

Simplicity 725 Tire OptionsMy rear tires are dryrotted pretty good. Seem to hold air OK. May last a while.{snip}

id="quote">
id="quote">Tim, I had to laugh when I read this. The tires that came on my 7010 when I bought it in 2002 were dry rotted, and they still are. One needs air every 3 weeks, the other holds. It never occurred to me to replace them :D It's too bad that our tire tread never wears out, but the sidewalls do.

Thanks Wayne. I'll try them without tubes unless I have a problem with sealing. I'll make sure I clean the rims real good & paint them to keep the bead surface from rusting. Just like a car tire. This tractor may be just a mower so 2 ply should be fine & I won't be loading the tires either. On a second thought though this has a 12HP Briggs. Should have more power than my other tractors. Could be a workhorse. Decisions decisions.

Thanks,

Tim

Don,My rear tires have dryrot cracks between the tread & on the sidewalls but they still hold air.? May get worse when I start using it, but may be OK for a long time too.

CIMG2949.jpg

CIMG2950.jpg

I do like the look of the origonal turfs. There's also a diamond looking tread in this post that I like.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138777

CIMG2949.jpg.1c9f2a05cdbdef301691f92e93a0aafd.jpg

CIMG2950.jpg.e84246d559c7dd190bc2a6b12f26fc42.jpg

You will more than likely have to put tubes in the front tires.

Carefully look on the bead surfaces when you have the tires off.

You may notice an extra feature on the rear rims allowing for a tubeless tire. In fact, you may have to provide a little extra persuasion to break the beads on the rear tires, than the front. That feature may very well be missing on the front rim. It's like an extra "ring" that the tire "snaps" over when you seat the new tires.

The front tires see more side load because of turning.

I bought tri rib tires for the front of my Landlord and they are tube type tires, and rims. I have tubes in the front tires on my Serf, and on my 575 Wonder-Boy,,,,, but the WB has two piece rims.:D:D

Thanks Tim. I'll keep an eye out for that. I can always run to Tractor Supply if I need tubes. What are the liners Wayne was talking about?

if you have a buddy that is a tire wholesaler, you might have him check out Carroll Tire. someone at the Florida Flywheeler's show recommended them as 'much cheaper than Miller' I tried to see their catalog but they stonewalled me because I am not a wholesaler. fwiw

• 5 weeks later...

Simplicity 725 Tire Options

Rear tire finally blew out on my Simplicity 725 tractor while rototilling. I see the front tires can be bought. What about the rear tires?

The manual says Part #8262023. Tire is a Goodyear Lawn and Garden suburbanite tread. 6-12, 2 ply, G-2 rating, 215110-1. The rim is 5 bolt pattern with a 6 inch inner hub area, 3 1/8" center hole, 13 1/2" outer rim diameter. Is there a decent replacement that you have used.

I don't think they make the goodyears anymore. The only new ones I found were the Firestone town & country in a turf tire but they are $120 each.:o You can find new AG style tires that are a lot cheaper but can't remember the price. Ebay carries them & probaly some other sites too. Sometimes in the classifieds on our club site, ebay, or craigslist some used or new ones pop up for sale once in a while. I'm just going to run mine until I have a problem. That's all I could come up with when I checked about rear 6-12 tires. Not many choices for the narrow rear 6-12 tires.

I will keep looking around. The emergency repair was to patch the inner tube and cut a galvanized stove pipe to fit just inside the tire's inner bead. I flatenend the ridges and filed sharp areas out. I wrapped it in 1/8 inch rubber to protect the tube. That should stop the tube from popping out again. It looks a bit out of round, but it holds air.

Thanks for responding,

Nick.