Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7100 Series 48" Deck Spindle Stack Up

SimpleAlex

Hi All,Dragged out the *HEAVY* deck today (1690502) and started going over it in anticipation of mowing the lawn sometime this summer.Question.I've been looking over the parts manual trying to figure out what I'm missing from the stack of washers, blade adapters, & etc. on the spindles and I'm having a hard time deciding what's not there.I took some pictures with hopes that someone here could offer some advice. The washer on the bottom of the blade is not concave.I feel like I'm missing 23 at a minimum, and maybe 19 and 18. Or perhaps it was put back together at some point with some parts missing and some in the wrong place.I can take other/more pictures if needed.Thanks in advance!

screenshot.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.JPG

screenshot.jpg.a3ec0533d82fb163adc37d60cb0720ac.jpg

photo-3.jpg.97d917a701e5766cba931a62c0340684.jpg

photo-2.JPG.e117cf75d0e54cfd897e4b12e3b9dab9.JPG

In your first picture. The washer is correct and 19 is there, it is the big round plate with three holes in it. The splined washer 22 belongs below the blade. 18 is a dust or debris shield. Would need a different angle of picture to tell if it is there.

Okay. I thought that the blade adapter (19) would somehow engage with the blade by the small holes. So if that's not the case, that's good.Then the splined washer, which I think is currently between the blade and the blade adapter (first picture), needs to go on the other side of the blade (between the blade and the ground) as shown in the diagram.I'm wondering if the washer that I have on there now, between the blade and the ground, is just something they threw on there instead of the compression washer (23)?I added another picture taken from a lower angle to get a bette look at the back of the blade adapter. I hope that helps.

photo_under.JPG

photo_under.JPG.6979dc523fed9764f781f61bdfd66d91.JPG

The dust shield is there as well. They say it is a spring washer (23) in the parts manual. Any of them that I have taken apart must have lost there spring. Because they were not concaved and I have a tote in the garage shelf full of those spindles. My Prestige has spring washers on the spindles though. I would place a lock washer between the head of the bolt and 23 or replace.

The spring washer is part number 1656916SM and are $4.70 each.

Your IPL only shows one Bearing (?) should have two! The bolt #24 should be a grade 8, or You will not acheive 55-70 foot pound torque w/o shearing the bolt. Been there, did that!

Good deal - I fussed around with one of the spindles this morning and got it stacked up the correct way. Much better. I'll have to pick up some lock washers.

The spline shafts were a little chewed up - is that OK as long as everything still fits?

I don't have a torque wrench either, I suppose I'll need one of those. Are the harbor freight ones good enough for light duty?

Thanks again!

quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

Your IPL only shows one Bearing (?) should have two! The bolt #24 should be a grade 8, or You will not acheive 55-70 foot pound torque w/o shearing the bolt. Been there, did that!

id="quote">
id="quote">Looks like I'm busted. I haven't owned a torque wrench since I redid the head on my Nissan 280ZX back in 1985. I estimate the force I am using and multiply by the length of the wrench 8D