Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3416H

EdFromMason

Well time to go to work on this 3416H my dad gave me. Got some new issues on it. Had some real hungry varmints do a number on the electrical. Anyone know if there is a re-man wiring harness for this model and a electrical blue print. I could make my own harness. but would still need a wiring diagram for it. Any suggestions on wire or any other electrical items I might as well replace. Would like to do something with the head lights and possibly install a rear work light.

Thank you for the help.

You can download the OM from Simplicity by typing in 990871 at the top of this forum about downloading manuals and there you will see a wire diagram, page 32 I think, not the best. If you PM me your e-mail address, I have a better copy of those two pages to e-mail you.

Yes the wiring harnesses are very simple on the 3400 series. One thing, I always recommend fusing all your circuits that carry battery voltage. Of course the system as a whole is "protected" by a 20A circuit breaker but I am of the opinion that that is inadequate to protect the lighter lines. I recommend appropriately sized inline fuses on the accessory or light circuits as well as starter circuit. The wires in these circuits are highly vaunderable to being pinched by moving parts like clutch linkage and hood and fender pan hinge points. I have seen them burn slap up without popping the main breaker.

When you have a chance I really wish you could expound a little further as to where these circuit breakers go and what the ideal circuit breaker (10a,15a) would be. I didn't realize these older 3400 series had that much in the way of circuit breakers. I am going to rewire a 1973 Allis built Homelite and I believe they are similar, so I'm trying to get some info prior to the job. thanks

quote:Originally posted by skunkhome

Yes the wiring harnesses are very simple on the 3400 series. One thing, I always recommend fusing all your circuits that carry battery voltage. Of course the system as a whole is "protected" by a 20A circuit breaker but I am of the opinion that that is inadequate to protect the lighter lines. I recommend appropriately sized inline fuses on the accessory or light circuits as well as starter circuit. The wires in these circuits are highly vaunderable to being pinched by moving parts like clutch linkage and hood and fender pan hinge points. I have seen them burn slap up without popping the main breaker.

id="quote">
id="quote">

This is the wiring diagram a made up for my 3414, when I repowered last year, based on the gauge of the wire in each circuit and of course the gauge of the wire coming out of the dual circuit altenator. Of course it is going to be different for the Homelite as it has a starter generator.

c8a6120760785e677b1743ee3ce2f2c7_zpsdb1ceec5.jpg

You can get recommended max fuse size based on wire gauge by googling "fuse size vs. wire gauge".

Doesn't look like much when it's all put together in a wiring harness.

67CDD917-2300-4225-96EC-01FD35AF5A39-1601-00000310120BD35B.jpg

Original wiring with S/G

2F68CA40-CC90-454D-839C-B5E6BB4F6FB0-1601-0000030FFCC0E005.jpg

New wiring with geared starter

133AC272-FF84-4422-946A-D908E2F90635-1601-0000031006F5DDA7.jpg

As for the headlights.... Six years ago I Geri rigged a solution to the NLA reflector bulbs for the pod lights. Now with help from someone on another forum I finally located bulbs that work in the 3300, 3400, early 7000 and early 700 pod lights without modification of the wiring. F11ACC8C-BFE3-48E8-BA22-9293FE3BEA8A_zpsbnlzs3dy.jpg

I rewired my headlight circuit back to the original configuration, ie one button (-) and one button(+).

C7C2E85B-4D65-449C-B7C2-8253454C015F_zps1imgacye.jpg

They work like a champ, now all I need is an alternator that puts out more that 7v AC.

2C21734B-4515-44C9-92C5-F6D494FB799D_zps6psp8tgt.jpg

If you want some you must google Satco1970 bulbs. If you google MR16 you will not find bulbs with the BA15D base. These are 20MRC16/FL DC BAY 12V. These are a direct replacement.

Here are a couple of sourses:

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Satco-01970-20MRC16-FL-DC-BAY-12V-S1970-MR16-Halogen-Light-Bulb

http://www.elightbulbs.com/Satco-01970-20MRC16-FL-DC-BAY-12V-S1970-MR16-Halogen-Light-Bulb

http://www.lbutampa.com/Lighting-Fixtures/Product/Satco/Light_Bulbs/S1970/

Phil sent you a dual circuit wire diagram and that is fine. If you have a Briggs with a starter - generator system, that will take a different diagram. If you PM me I'll send the 3416H diagram.