Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JD drive over deck

fishnwiz

Just saw an ad for JD drive over deck where you actully drive over the top of the mower deck to center the tractor on the deck for mounting.Neat concept but I would not want to try it with any of my simple tractors.

Never had a big deck tractor...I was kind of wondering that. I would be afraid to try it on a smaller deck!

Your never to old to stop learning something new!

Mark,

I saw the same thing on serial #10 of the Sperry New Hoilland 16HP tractor, back in the 60's! They also entered the market with spline shaft driven attachments. Engine was a Kohler! BTW the transaxle was a Sperry Vickers (from Troy MI). OH Yeah! It was YELLOW!!!

W

Our Ariens is setup that way. If you drive on correctly, the attachment to the tractor frame is hands free. It even came with 2 small ramps of sorts, but as long as the deck wont roll away from you, they arent needed.

I still find an old b series deck to be about the easiest thing to mount in the mowing world.

And here I have been pushing my darn decks in with my feet while sitting on my butt. Never considered driving over the deck thinking that can't be too good for the deck!

I drive over my decks on the 64 Landlord,7016, and 17GTH-L all the time. I put a small piece of board on each side over the rollers and drive right on up. You just need to watch the height adjusters so as no to damage them. The decks are plenty heavy enough.

As long as you don't back over them. Just the front wheels and they will be fine.

I honestly don't think backing over them would hurt anything either but....

If I were going to buy a new tractor, one of the models I would consider is the JD x530. Aside from the K72 tranny, hydro power steering and foot control, the decks have anti-scalp wheels on each corner that turn 90 degrees and allow one to roll the deck out from under the tractor. IMHO - that is a GREAT feature.

I have also thought about fabbing a crawler similar to what one would roll under their car, only this crawler would roll under the mowing deck. Let the deck down on it, unhook and roll out from under the tractor. Less expensive than a new JD... :D

OTOH - I have found the 50 inch deck on my Simplicity Landlord DLX easy enough to remove too - more so than some other color tractors and their decks that I have.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Our Ariens is setup that way. If you drive on correctly, the attachment to the tractor frame is hands free. It even came with 2 small ramps of sorts, but as long as the deck wont roll away from you, they arent needed.I still find an old b series deck to be about the easiest thing to mount in the mowing world.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think it was either Ariens or Bolens, that bought out the Sperry New Holland product. A friend of mine bought one and repainted it "PURPLE"Would have bought one (New Holland), @ $1600, but I had just invested $700 into the '68 Landlord, mower, tiller! If Sperry had waited a couple of months, until Ford had taken over New Holland...Corporate never had a good sense of timing!WW

I just lay down a sheet of plywood, and slide 'er under, but then it is only a 42" deck!!!! Do the same for the 36" deck, under the 4212.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

I wish I could drive over the 60" deck for my SS.

id="quote">
id="quote">Why can't you? I've driven over my Sunstar 60" deck by placing a small ramp in front of it.Dan

Originally posted by PeppyDan
quote:
id="quote">I'll give it a try this spring. But I'm still skeptical. Like I said, I'm sure the shell will handle the weight, but I'm not convinced this can be done on a regular basis without bending up the covers, or bending a pulley, or damaging the deck wheels or rollers. The JD deck is specifically designed to be driven over; the Simplicity decks were not.

I lowered the rollers so the deck was supporting the weight and not the rollers and in thinking about it may have driven the back wheels over the deck which would allow the wider rear tires to distribute the weight better. I also had 26x12x12 tires on which gave me more clearance. I have not mowed with this in several years so the details are a little fuzzy:(:I

Dan