Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Zero turn

huffy

I'm contemplating buying a zero turn this summer. Does anyone own one of the Simplicity models? If so, I'd appreciate any feedback you may have.

im in the process of buying a zt2500 with a 25 hp briggs 48 inch deck 3 year warranty. my last one was a 2006 with 20 hp kohler and 44 inch deck. the o6 sold me on them for the ease of turning around and the speed and they cut great. its a heck of a lot faster than my sovereign.

That's why I'm so interested in them. I mow over 4 acres of my property, and have a boatload of trees, etc, to work around. Even with the 60" deck on the SS it takes a long time.

Just curious . . . why are you swapping out the '06? Is it just because you want more hp and the larger deck? I'm assuming it's not because the '06 is worn out already . . .

I demoed a Simplicity a few years ago with a 60" deck. I mowed my neighbors 3-1/2 acre lot in less than a hour and it was 8" tall. It went through it like nobody`s business. Very good machine, but for the same money or very close to the same money you can have a Ferris that has higher ground speeds. The Simplicity is made by Ferris.

Compare the Ferris specs. to the Simplicity Specs. and you will probably see some differences. I know my dealer told me the Simplicity`s were slower for the home owner and the Ferris is faster for the commercial market.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

If it cuts faster, that's less seat time. Why would you want that? :D

id="quote">
id="quote">less time mowing grass = more time spent on boat. 8D

I don't see any suspension or a suspension seat on it. If you're '06 had them you might find they will be features you will miss.

I ran a 07 Simplicity champion 20hp 50" zt for a couple of seasons just to see how they were. I really liked it mowing around things, but out on the wide open flats - as Ray indicated above- seemingly painfully slow going compared to other brands I have seen. Overall they reduce your time mowing, but Id rather have a model that would have a faster ground speed.

Also as said, you don't want a zt if you have lots of hills and slopes that cant be mowed up and down. Mowing them side to side is problematic at best, and the steeper they are the more impossible it gets.

And one other thing, if you get one of the drive wheels off in a soft spot, you are immediatey stuck and you will need another rig available to pull it out.

I don't know enough to open my mouth, most likely, but have a neighbor with a Grasshopper he's had for at least 15 years (he moved in in '99, and brought it with him). That thing flies, and his placed, like some of mine, is sloped terribly. It has the drive wheels up front...kinda located mid-ship, and he does not seem to struggle on those hills. I fight traction on a Sovereign more than he does on his Zturn.

Neat thing about his rig is his snow setup. For winter he puts on AG's with weight, and has a 50" 2-stage blower. He snowblows all 9 drives on our street in the time I can plow mine with the B-110. I've gained some ground on him now that I'm using the Legacy, but still...it's the fastest snow mover I have ever seen, and I have never once seen him stuck in the snow. He had a Sweepster for it too, and sold that around the time I moved in. His rear mount leaf vac looks to be at least twice the capacity of my Wide Body Cart/Turbo vac.

Not that I am an expert but besides the problem on hills (but I think Josh is right the side hill ability depends on the model), a rough lawn is very hard on the operator.

Rick........