Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleAlex

Taptite screws for belt covers on deck

SimpleAlex

Any good alternatives to these for attaching the belt covers?

The part number is 1929000, and I'm having a hard time finding anything outside of the B&S parts, which are over $2 each.

BMinor8806

I usually just use a 1/4" drill bit in the holes and use good stainless bolts, lock washers and nuts. Makes taking them off a bit longer but they hold don't and don't rattle at all.

DanD

I just went to the local Ace Hardware store (pick any hardware store that has rows and rows of the little drawers with all different kinds of fasteners and other goodies in them) and got this kind of sheet metal screw. I got a size larger than the originals since on my 38 year old deck most of the holes were a little bigger than new from rust and having loose screws vibrating around in them for years. All tightened up very nicely. If I remember correctly they ran about 35 cents.

bolt1.jpg

bolt1.jpg.ccaaa4b7f92ccf8206a055d926fc7a0f.jpg

SimpleAlex

Heh... Thought about that a lot. I just can't risk a little set of feet jumping off my lap with the PTO engaged and get caught in the belts.

I painted under the covers with a good coat of oil. Hopefully that and regular cleanings will keep the deck integrity intact.

RayS

It would scare me to even have one on my lap. Especially with the PTO engaged. Seems like you hear of 2 or 3 children a year falling off of laps and getting killed or mangled by the blades around here.

Brettw
quote:I painted under the covers with a good coat of oil.id="quote">
id="quote">

Actually, what seems like a good protector may work in negative ways. The oil will attract and hold dirt, debris and dust. All of these things hold moisture. In the end, oil, used in a manner like this, may cause more harm than do good.

On another note, the deck I use, the PO (a retired Simplicity dealer)cut most of the belt covers away, and left enough to protect the pulleys and belts in the exposed (to feet) area. This seems to work well and is the best of both worlds. I just would have a hard time cutting up a set of good (and hard to find) covers.