Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712H bevel gear box

It depends on the tractor. You may have enough room to remove the yoke, pry out the old seal, and install a new one. But, Pat is right. You probably have other problems. Check it out real good. If something is wrong, fix it now or spend big bucks later.

Removing the whole rear end, bevel gear box and all, is not that big of a job. Disconnect the linkages, remove the driveshaft and yoke, and take out four bolts... supporting the tractor frame on something while you do that, of course. IMO, it's a lot more work to remove the "stuff" off the sides of the bevel gear box than it is to gain access to the front....

That is one thing that I like about the 700/900 series and their Sim equivlent is how easy it is to get underneath and split the tractor. Good Luck! Mike S.

The front input shaft seal needs to be replace on my bevel gear box. Can this be done without complete removal of the gear box?

You must remove the gearbox to replace the seal. It has been my experience that the seal goes bad if the shaft or bearing has worn, allowing the shaft to wobble. Pat