Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Jackobson

BrendonV

"Hydrostatic" refers to the type transmission. A hydrostatic uses a hydraulic pump and motor to turn the gears. There is no clutch, and only a control lever that is pushed one way to go forward and the other way to go in reverse. Sort of like an automatic transmission in cars. Newer Simplicitys use hydrostatic drive, and Kent just converted one of his B models to hydrostatic. How old is the "old lady"?

Glad to know that I'm old (62). Wondered why my knees hurt all the time. Guess it is all from where you are at the time isn't it?

Brendon, sorry bout the typo on HYDROSTATIC I didnt mean to mislead ya. Think Briggs was the engine they used. As far as price is concerned, anything under $100 (complete tractor) aint bad. Dick

how are old Jackobson tractors??? old lady in my town has one in the back with the plow©©©if she doesnt want to get rid of it for free, what should i offer brendonv

Saw a coupl on a city auction in Fairbanks a couple years ago I was interested in to rob hydralic stuff off of but sure thought they were flat ugly and comberson looking, I'd say real cheap.MPH

Ugly yes. I lived next door to a man who sold Jacobsen in the early 1970's. Wasnt really into tractors at the time but looked well enough to conclude they were pretty tuff machines. That man plowed his very wide 100 foot long drive way for at least 20 years plus mowed his lawn and pulled and pushed broken down tractors in and out of his shop. I think it still sets next to the shop. His son is in auto repair and pretty much ignores it. I'm sure it was hydroststic drive. Forgot to mention he plowed neighbors driveways too, mine included Dick

All Jakes[and Fords] I ever worked on [maybe 6] had Kohlers in them.oil pans on later models[70's] are WELDED to frame from factory!

My conversations usually go like this: Tractor owner: well I don't want to give it away for free. Me: well if you insist on paying me to haul it away ... thats o.k. but... I will haul it away for free... today. (note .. this works better wihen an angry wife is within earshot...) Sometimes you should mention what it costs to HAUL stuff to the dump (disposal fees etc..) I have so much fun with this... Hope this helps Cheap Dave