Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 / 917 PTO Pulley

Kenzen

No. It is held in place with a brake when the cone clutch is not engaged. This keeps the blades/equipment from freewheeling and stops them almost immediately after the PTO is disengaged.

Ok...so should the engine bog when engaging the clutch and nothing is attached? (Do I need to dismantle the PTO clutch ass'y and lube it?)

Thx,

Ken

The engine should not bog with no load on the pto clutch. A slight tick for a second on the RPM's maybe, but almost unnoticeable. I do not think you should not have to lube anything on the assembly, but something obviously doesn't sound right if the engine is under load with no equipment attached to the pulleys.

It seems to be an unreasonable load when the clutch engages, as if the brake that brings the pulley to a stop upon un-engagement is not releasing fully. Intuitively, it seems I have to dismantle the PTO and lube the pulley and other rotating parts. The key question is how I would assess if this is necessary. I've had problems with the mower deck stalling in tall wet grass and causing the clutch to slip, and I had poor performance in trying to run the snow thrower this winter - the clutch just slipped. I'd intuitively expect that the belt would slip before the PTO clutch. Should I simply rebuild the PTO and assure that is not a problem?

I pulled the clutch plate (using an impact ratchet to get the nut off, and a pulley puller)and it's worn to the point that the pulley is up against the clutch plate face. I'm simply going to head up to Jack's and get a new one. The pulley spins "fine" in the engaged position and the clutch plate removed, with no appreciable play. I'm going to look into the governor settings on the engine to correct the overreaction of the governor upon engaging the unloaded clutch.

Installed a new clutch plate - it's great to live a short drive from Jack's Small Engines. After a minor adjustment of the disengaged gap, the tractor "kicked butt" on my back 40 this afternoon. :)