Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New One On Me

dhoadley

In my garage I have no electricity, so I got an old Coleman generator from my dad to run a couple of shop-lights and an extension cord.sm01

P4190401.JPG

This afternoon it stopped abruptly. Upon closer examination...:o

P4190405.JPG

I've never seen a carburetor body split in half before.sm00

P4190407.JPG

I just happened to have a spare carb in the basement and I was back at it within the hour. I just never know what the day's gonna bring. Dave

P4190401.JPG.e6fae4a73bd7ca34bedd86d0af834d36.JPG

P4190405.JPG.56ccb1fcda496acd7cccb2537f5c3958.JPG

P4190407.JPG.020a9923de3cd1f5127241fa20d7e96e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A stress fracture from the shaking when running by the look of it. The dark side indicates it was already half broken, maybe from the carb being hit or had something dropped or sitting on it when stored. Lucky you had a spare that works. Any problem getting it to fit or work?

• Like 3

When I got it, it wasn't running and I thought it was the carb so I got a replacement. Ended up being something else and was thinking that maybe I should put the extra on Ebay. Was a straight replacement and runs great now. Procrastination wins again!^

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

quote:Originally posted by dhoadley

When I got it, it wasn't running and I thought it was the carb so I got a replacement. Ended up being something else and was thinking that maybe I should put the extra on Ebay. Was a straight replacement and runs great now. Procrastination wins again!^

id="quote">
id="quote">Dave, I like to call it 'Patience"...:DdOdCheers,Wayne
  • Like 1

quote:Originally posted by Mike

I'll bet it was sucking some air in

id="quote">
id="quote">Only when it let go.:D Before that it ran perfect, it certainly didn't behave as if there was a partial crack.

• 6 years later...

So, I'm reviving this thread because I'm having trouble with this old generator. We lost power for 3 days a couple of weeks back, and this poor thing got run long and hard. Would go 2 hours on a tank of gas, and every couple of tanks I would have to add 4 to 6 oz. of oil. It's done that for years. Just before the lights came back, she started missing and losing rpms. I popped the head and cleaned off the carbon. It was quite wet as well, the plug was fouled. I put a spark tester to it, the spark was regular and strong, but orange in color. Is that normal? I swapped the coil, but no change. Ideas? Thanx, Dave 

Edited by dhoadley

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, dhoadley said:

So, I'm reviving this thread because I'm having trouble with this old generator. We lost power for 3 days a couple of weeks back, and this poor thing got run long and hard. Would go 2 hours on a tank of gas, and every couple of tanks I would have to add 4 to 6 oz. of oil. It's done that for years. Just before the lights came back, she started missing and losing rpms. I popped the head and cleaned off the carbon. It was quite wet as well, the plug was fouled. I put a spark tester to it, the spark was regular and strong, but orange in color. Is that normal? I swapped the coil, but no change. Ideas? Thanx, Dave 

Murphy attacks you also I see!