Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SHEARED IGNITION KEY FIX

jklw77

Howdy all. Recently I have sheared ignition keys on a B110,after the second break in a week,something had to be done.Looked for a key guard not one did I find , looked in club forums, nothing.Took gas tank off pulled out the single blade INDAK switch(15/16" socket),found a 2" SS washer, a piece of 2 1/4"SS tubing ,needed 2" but this is what I had to work with.Caliper said switch needed to be drilled to 11/16", then I file fit the id of the washer to the top/bottom,then the sides which are parallel lines (.700)of an inch to fit the side of the switch facing the tractor,with that ready to go measured length of key sticking out from console 1 3/8", cut tubing long 2" with a miter cut on one side,polished with a flapper wheel on a die grinder 60 grit, could have got some jewelers rouge but did not want the bling. split the tubing to fit washer, an left a space on the bottom to let water drain out.Fit tubing to washer with a radiator clamp on it,put in a vise and tig welded tube and washer.Mounted back on tractor with no more holes than what came from the factory. This little mod is really solid.This worked for me no more broken ignition keys.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG.b24f9af0aa3bc808a03cbc75c6ccca58.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG.d00ed801bc5866e9a4dc1c929a814a72.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG.8db17ab57c7544d3d279edb4b85e5c07.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG.a99bcef1d03ac8183e441fe96a17debd.JPG

I like your key guard idea but can't believe you have broken 2 keys. I have never even bent one. I don't use a key ring or dangle however and always just leave the key in the ignition. My tractors do live in a locked shop so no easy theft worries....Dave

Well B10 Dave when I get on this tractor I do not always take my time to and be as careful as I should, not as limber and young anymore, it is almost a struggle to get on and off it, including a rambunctious 3 year old that demands to ride,but it is the most useful piece of equipment in the yard we have.

I have found that it helps to shorten the key. I drilled a keyring hole further in and cut off part of the head of the key on mine. It sure is easy to kick it when getting on or off.

I bought a tractor where the po used a plastic white cap from a spray paint can and it has worked great for years.