Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_RI

Engine rebuild ?

John_RI
I am trying to find out a ball park price to have a 8 HP Briggs engine rebuilt. It only smokes right when you start it up. This being my first tractor and now having a spare I want to get this engine rebuilt. But I was debating if buying a new engine was that much more than having it rebuilt. Any info would be appreciated. Kris

jackcobb
Seem's like rebuilds hover around $600, if you have it done in a decent shop. That's for a cast iron of coarse, not sure if an aluminum block would be much less? So if your 8 hp is an aluminum block, rule of thumb is you can by a new replacement engine or short block for less or the same money. A cast iron block would be a different decission as they last longer between rebuilds and a new cast engine is alot of money. If you can do some of the work yourself, rebuilding may be the less expensive route.

Sandy_Lake_Imp
You might check the condition of the bore and if it is not too bad then try a set of chrome rings. Aluminum engines are not worth boring out. Bill

RYR88
this might be something to look at.Do you park the tractor on a down hill slope?even a new engine might smoke when started if this is done , oil will leak by the rings when sitting. and check your oil level.