Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7018 Carb problems

DaveM

I would check the points and condenser before proceeding further. Burned and/or misadjusted points will create the problems you describe, as will a bad condensor. Pat

Dave, Check the compression with a compression gage. If it does not have compression, you may be in trouble. The problem with the Kohler 18HP single cylinder engine is trying to cool the aluminum head with steel valve seats and guides. The valve seats like to fall out and the guides like to make bigger holes in the head. Been there, done that. If your engine has good compression, check the valve lash. If I remember the valve lash needs to be adjusted in that motor.

I have my 7018 set up to plow snow, problem is it will not idle without full choke, and when I open up the throttle it backfires terribly. I have used the engine manual to reset the fuel jets and idle setting to no avail. I assume I need to clean and/or rebuild the carborator. Is this the correct diagnosis, or could it be another problem, such as a valve sticking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. DaveM

I should know this by now, but what engine do you have? I think there were a few single cyl. 18hp kohlers in existance but more likely you have a twin cyl. Correct? Brent

Dave, have you let the engine warm up enough? I had the same problem last year, I had to put a block heater on to get it warm enough to idle and then I started at full choke, moved to half choke, then no choke, when it is this cold outside, these motors need to get nice and warm before anything they can work their best, one other thing to check is, pull the head(s) off and de-carbon them, this can cause the backfire you mention too, and if you do this, be sure to pick up new head gaskets and spark plugs, it should run better and a little cooler than for peak performence, good luck with your machine and hope this helps,-BradW

Before I'd go to the trouble of pulling the head, I'd try letting it warm up and new plugs like Brad said. Also, if you do have a single cyl. kohler, I'd check the throttle shaft for play and to see if it is sucking air down through it. I had that problem earlier this year on a single cyl 16hp kohler and was told it is a common problem with that style carb. The repair kit was around $25 as I recall and you must take the carb into the dealer to make sure you get the right length shaft. Next, I'd check the points and condenser if you have them, possibly clean and reset the points if they look good and replace the condenser. I've not had the problems with points on kohlers as I have had on Briggs, but on my Briggs with points they are very touchy and having a little oil film or the gap set wrong by just a hair makes a huge difference on how it runs. Brent

If your engine is a Kohler K361 single cylinder OHV, make sure you can still get the parts before taking anything apart. If the problem exists after engine is warm, with a new plug, your problem sounds like fuel. Remove the needle valves and blow out the passages. Check carb for loose shaft & gasket leaks. You may also want to check the ignition point gap.

I do have the K361 single-cylinder engine. I replaced the plug about 10 hours ago and I always let it warm up for several minutes before doing anything. I'll try the other things and see if it makes a difference. I hope so. I love using this beast to plow snow. Luckily I purchased a blower for my Gravely this summer and it is doing an adequate job, although the blade does a much better job on the compacted snow. DaveM