Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electrical issues on a B10 SOLVED!

Allisgrandson

Gentlemen,

I parked the tractor a month ago after clearing snow off of the driveway, and now it won't start. I mean, I get absolutely no response from the tractor when I press the starter button. No whirring, clicking, or grinding. I replaced the rectifier with a known good one, and still nothing. I checked the voltage at the post on the S/G, and with the starter pressed, I read 12.4+ VDC. So it's getting power.

I checked another S/G with my jump starter pack, and it spun right over. So I get the bright Idea to try it on the one in the tractor, just to make sure, and lo and behold, it spun right over. The jump starter puts out right around 12.5 VDC, just like the starter is already getting.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

I checked the starter button. It had about 1VDC when not activated, and 12.4VDC when engaged. I did ground my jump starter pack to the shell of the S/G, so I'll go try that again.

With the S/G bolted to the frame, that should act as ground, correct?

Well, it was ground. Thank you Brettw for having me re-check that. The PO had attached ground to the snowblower engagement bracket bolt. I snapped that bolt the last time I used the tractor. I connected the ground cable to a more appropriate area and it cranks right over. Thanks for your help!

Another simple problem solved by SimpletrACtors!

Another happy customer!dOd

There is no reason to sit on the sidelines ...Come on in and join the fun...its the best 10 bucks you will ever spend! dOd

Yup, I pay yearly and diligently. This place has saved me a lot of money over the last couple of years.

Glad it worked out. A couple months ago my 64 LL wouldn't crank over at all. Push the starter button & nothing. Thought it may be the starter button going but wasn't. Gave the starter a rap with a hammer & started right up. Funny how things work out sometimes.