Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

True Blue Belt - Any Opinions!

Tacey

I priced a new arbor drive belt today. $43 + tax. I have always used genuine simplicity belts, but geez... So I priced an online substitute and the "True Blue" Kevlar belt is 1/2 the price. Are they any good? Thanks.

It's a 108209 off a 42" deck on my 6011 simplicity. I buy my parts from my local dealer without question routinely. I guess I've been squeezing nickels a little tighter this month.

I have had good luck with True Blue belts which is a Sten's.

I have also done well with belts from TSC which are even cheaper.

Since this belt does not twist like the PTO belt I am not as concerned about using a simplicity substitute. I've gotten at least 5 years out of my current belt, which is my main mowing machine cutting one acre. And it's still working but it's getting a little thin.

A Napa A-80 (82") belt is as close to a Simplicity belt as you can get. Don't settle for anything less. Forget the Gates green 4L's and True blue's. Most of Simplicity belts are A section and are a different construction then automotive belts. There is a difference belts and most hardware and farm store people don't know that because their parts books don't them that.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Does Napa carry alot of belt sizes?

id="quote">
id="quote">My store has hit about 90% of what I need. And they are only a block away.;)

GWGAllisfan

For the mower deck, I've had good luck with the NAPA "W" series, not sure what is different about it, but it is. I also on another deck have used the one from TSC and it gave good service.

I always use the genuine Simplicity ones for the cone clutch to center spindle on my RBT, as everything else seems too stiff, and breaks quickly because of the twist. Since I have to order those, as my local dealer is non-stocking, I keep a spare. I did get a PIX one in an emergency from a local shop and it did fine for 2-3 years until the center spindle pulley came loose and destroyed it.

I have had decent results with the advance auto L&G belts for the cross-drive on a FDT PTO. They are made by Dayco.

I have used Napa belts like Bob for some time. I used napa for the snowthower belt on a sovereign and it gets worked and never an issue...unless I forget to change the pulley every 3 years. Then I get a new one!:D

rich_kildow

Most that have already weighed in have more experience than I do, but I have going on 3 years on the Gates BladeRunner belts through O'Reilly and have been very happy. I've thrown the deck and snowblower belts a few times forgetting to switch the idler pulley tab and they are still running strong.

BLT that item is described as a Gates A-80. Is that one ok?

Thanks for the link. Interesting site.

quote:Originally posted by Tacey

BLT that item is described as a Gates A-80. Is that one ok?Thanks for the link. Interesting site.

id="quote">
id="quote">As long as yours is an 82 inch belt, yourre good to go.

One of the down sides (for me) of owning a fleet of tractors is maintaining them gets expensive- especially if you go OEM on everything.

To save $$$'s, I'm giving various green and blue type belays a try on everything. Where it works, I'll keep doing it. Where it don't, I'll switch back.

Time will tell.

I went with the NAPA belt. They did not stock it, so it will be Monday before I pick it up. The price was 15 dollars, so we will see if I saved anything over OEM.