Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor Transmission ?

mowerman1193

Hi all,I just picked up 2 trannys form a 707 and a 727 Broadmoor, one has a the HI/LO pulley on it.My ? is: Can you tell by looking if it is a 2 speed or a 3 speed?Maybe they both are 2 speeds but I am hoping that one is a 3 speed.I know the one in the 707 should of been a 2 speed but not sure about the 727.Hoping for a 3 speed to put in my 728.But if they are'nt 3 speeds at least I got the HI/LO unit for my 717. Thanks for any information you can give me, mowerman1193

The three speeds had a stub shaft out the left side to run the tiller and revitalizer off of with a pulley. The three speed was not offered with the 727 that I am aware of, I believe it came out with the 728. If all else fails, there would be 3 gear slots in the two speed and 4 in the three. See how many gears you can put them into. Sam

NO problems here. I just try to help out without putting my foot in my mouth, but sometimes its just unavoidable...Ha! If everyone throws in their 2 cents it will eventually add up to something substantial. Like Kent says, one gradually develops a taste for Kiwi shoe polish in the process.......He he!

Well I went out and took a better look at those trannys and one does have the stub shaft.I also looked on this site in the contents section under 727 specs. and found that the 727 did have the 3 speed.The tranny in my 717 with the metal shifter cover off will go into 4 gear spots but it is a 2 speed.Maybe something is worn.Anyway thanks Sam for the tip about the shaft on the left side.Would hate to change that over only to find I put in the wrong one Ha Ha. mowerman1193

I'm still learning too. Thats why try to inlude the " I do't think" Or "that I'm aware of" kind of lines. I was going by the 727 I once had with a 2- speed tranny in it. Could have been swapped I suppose. Thanks, Sam

Sam, I hope you did'nt take my last post the wrong way.I was'nt trying to point a finger at you.I just posted the message so anyone reading the messages could learn what I had found out. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, mowerman1193