Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mtoney

My new Sunstar

mtoney

Been awhile since I visited the land of orange/yellow/white tractors. I now am the head mechanic for the local Simplicity dealership and thus set out to buy myself the proper brand of tractor, was running an old c160 wheelhorse and my Yanmar diesel the last year or two. We got in a nice late model Sunstar with a 18hp Vanguard under the hood, owner said it locked up on him while using it. He didnt want to put much money into it and I was to just check to see if the engine was locked up and report back to him. I did that, she was locked solid, never thought to pull the pto clutch, didnt think of that one till he sold the tractor to our shop and very happily bought a brand new ZTR he was really wanting. I think he was needing a good excuse for his wife so he could drop 4-7 grand on a big ZTR. Any how, I bought the Sunstar off the shop and once pulling the pto clutch I found the rear bearing trashed and locked up. I didnt think they ran Vanguards from the factory, hour meter shows only 468 hours and the engine looks factory installed. Atleast a clutch is cheaper than an engine. Need to find the covers that go over the indicator lights on the dash, new hood straps and roust up a 3pt hitch for her. Cheers Mike and Michele T

DSC07160_zps6ebb55c2.jpg

DSC07159_zpse743d18d.jpg

DSC07161_zps6485ca20.jpg

DSC07162_zpsf8dca818.jpg

mtoney

I checked the model number in the system at work, shows late model production, 1995-1997. I got the old bearing out of the clutch, had to grind down 3 places the rear plate was staked. I will order a new bearing Monday from the local wholesaler. Bet it will be way cheaper than a new clutch! I dont think the Vanguard series was around when the early Sunstars hit the market. That would have been a flat twin and not a V twin. And yes, single speed rear end in mine. Mike

damon91

My dads sunstar had a 18hp briggs in it with a single speed rear end, he didnt like Kohlers for some reason. His machine looked pretty much the same as yours. Its a good machine, I loved the sound of that engine. I remember having to reglue the indicator light covers back on his too.