Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gilson parts/information anyone?

DanBov

I came upon a '71 and 77 wards/gilson last spring and thought they looked pretty similar to the Simplicity and B series AC tractors I have. Got a good score of attachments with them, after tryin to use them some last summer and switch attachments on and off, I have come to the decision I would take a B-112 in a pile of rusty iron over either of the gilsons I have new in the crate. Only power to attachments is the front PTO, the lift linkage is bogus and it takes 40 acres to turn this rig around. If the one you have is hydro keep it for a blade tractor and look for a AC for the rest of your work. just my feelin's...MPH

Kban, if you want a sweet replacement for your troy I advise you look for a 725 Simplicity with tiller. I still love my ole troy that I bought new in 73 and have tiller for, the good Lord could only guess how many hours with it, but last summer I got a tiller on my 725 and I almost lost my lawn.That gilson iron wouldn't be worth the frieght bill for sure, I got one cuz it had a stater/gen on it and the other cuz it had 10,5 x 12inch lug tires, turned out they bought run and work too good for me to strip for parts..not sure of thier fate.MPH

From a distance, some Gilson tractors look somewhat like a Simplicity. In the mid nineteenth century, there was a Gilson company located in Port Washington, WI (hometown of Simplicity). Montgomery-Ward sold Simplicity built tractors, and also sold Gilson built tractors. Read our History Page. Lawn-Boy acquired Gilson. Check with a Lawn-Boy/Toro dealer for Gilson parts. There is currently a "SIMPLICITY GILSON Tiller Transmission" for sale on eBay. Maybe you could contact that seller and find additional info. You could also call Simplicity Manufacturing and ask if Simplicity ever made any attachments for Gilson. Those folks are friendly and knowledgeable. Good luck on your quest......

Whew - Alaska to Mississpi - That iron would love it!! Although w/ the snow DownThere, Marty, Ken may be look'n for a Snowthrower!! VE

Hi, The Simplicity / Gilson tiller transmission is probably from the 5 hp rear tine that Simplicity sold about 10 years ago. It was made by Gilson and re-labeled and sold as a Simplicity, The tiller was also sold by Toro and the version they built for them had Swivel handles. It was a one or 2 year deal. Gilson was made in Port Washington and the plant closed about the same time Simplicity had the 75th anniversary. When we were up there there was discussion about another old name getting absosrbed and people being laid off. The factory was moved. Gilson is now part of Lawn-Boy,Toro. Al Eden

Where are the model numbers written on your garden mark squire? I have a 1963 garden mark squire (same as a 725) and I'm still not sure where the #'s are. John H

Kbann, think the engines should swap from the oil pan up. The oil pan on the gilsons Briggs made with front-end parts cast into them so thier a no-go in AC's. Rear wheels are 5 bolt so they may, though I haven't tried it yet, front wheels are a different bearing set-up and the trans on mine are hydrostatic feed directly off the engine, no bevel gear box, so I don't see much hope there. the steering is totally different. The similar looks at a glance pretty much stop right there. MPH

You might browse the Gilson clubs at yahoo.com. They have a wealth of information as well.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

• 3 months later...
I just joined this club looking for parts/information/attachments for a Gilson tractor, I haven't taken the time yet to identify this tractor so I don't know much about it. My main interest is finding a tiller and the necessary parts to make it work. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.