Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

uriahslim

Hello all i am a new member so i hope im posting this correctly.

i am looking at buying a 2012 Simplicity tractor it is the Broadmoor model with a 20 hp vanguard engine and a 52" deck only 50 hrs. and tractor has 1 year left on the warranty. my question/concern on this

is that the deck on this tractor looks very shallow compared to the 2014

models i looked at, it does not look like it would handle tall grass very well by the looks of the chute it almost looks like a mulching

type deck.looking for any suggestions before i lay out a lot of money for this. thanks in advance and thank you for letting me join the group

Welcome to the club!!Sorry I do NOT have the answers you seek but I am SURE one of our experts will be along shortly!

Looking forward to seeing some pics if and when you buy!

Good luck in your search and again...WELCOME!!

Mark

Ronald Hribar

The decks on the 2014 are all new

They are called fabricated decks

because the are welded together

The older decks are made by forming one piece of metal in a press

Thanks for the feedback i am aware of the fabricated-welded decks

but i was comparing this deck which is a stamped deck to the newer stamped decks, another thing about this deck when you look at the discharge shoot half the opening is on the side of the deck

and half on top of the deck and the opening seems small.I'd really like to buy this tractor because it has the Vangaurd engine and the price is right but i'm really concerned about this deck and how it will discharge the grass.Just curious if anyone out on the site may own a 2012 with this shallow deck and how it works for you.thanks for any responses.

Think you have to pay $10 dues to post pictures but that doesn't sound like a Simplicity deck. Would like to see a picture of it. Maybe a leftover Murray. Think Briggs is building them again.

Bob,

You can post a link to your pictures. Non dues paying members can post links to their pictures. But they cannot store their pictures on the Club's website.

Welcome to the Club.

Rick.......

It is my understanding that for whatever reason, Simplicity (aka: Briggs & Stratton) used decks from MTD for a few years. They put rollers on them and called them Simplicity decks. Typically the deck shells I've seen hug the blade contour on the back side where as the Simplicity decks I've got, Sovereign 48 inch, Landlord DLX 50 inch and 38 inch deck from I believe a Broadmoore are pretty much triangular in shape - straight across the back.

My guess is this Broadmoore you are looking at has the MTD deck.

I'm also pretty sure Simplicity re-introduced some of their traditional decks, i.e. the 44 inch and 50 inch deck on some models and are available today.

From my limited experience with my Landlord DLX, I especially like the 50 inch deck.

What I don't like about the fab'd decks is while they seem to peg the macho needle on the scale among us guys, when you go to drag the deck on off the tractor, the weight can be a hassle and much for my old back it seems as I get older.

Good luck with your tractor purchase!

Bill

Gentlemen,

Thanks much for the responses the description Bill gave is exactly what this deck is so its a mtd #@#!!&.I really wanted to buy this tractor but since all i'll be using it for is mowing i guess im going to let it pass,i can not imagine why a quality brand like Simplicity would have used this deck i can't see how it would work if the grass was a little heavy,Hate to pass up that Vanguard motor.thanks again for the posts LET THE BUYER BEWARE.