Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016H Starting issues

EdFromMason

When we got the tractor we had to jump start it to get it to run. It would run until you shut it off with the key. Today I put in it new battery, both cables, solenoid and cleaned all the electrical connections. Turned the key and nothing. Not even a click or hum. Ammeter dose not even move. If it was the starter it would not have started when jumped. Could it be the voltage regulator or the key switch? When we jumped it we had the key in the run position.

Any ideas?

If you jumped it using your same battery wires, you still have dirty connections at the battery terminals. Does your lights work with the key on?

Check your circuit breaker connections probably behind battery, a rectangular cube with two wires connected to it.

Still no luck on getting her to start with the key switch. When I turn the key I don't even get movement out of the amp gauge. Thinking it is 1 of 3 things. Voltage regulator, key switch or the circuit breaker. If I turn the key switch to the run position she will start up and run fine. If I move it to the start position I get nothing. So what next.

It starts in run position!!

Something is wrong

Probably the key switch

What motor do you have?

You know I goofed up in my last post...........Such a dunder head.

Any how if I turn the key to the run position and jump start it. It will start right up how ever if I turn the key to the start position I get nothing. It wont even turn over. When we jumped it to start it all the other times we placed the negitive jumper wire on the gen/starter bracket and the other positive to the solenoid to get her to start. It just will not start with the key switch.

You know sitting her typing this I am thinking Dunder head its the key switch ? Could this be correct. You can turn it off by the key switch. You just can not start it by the key switch.

Thank you for the help. Guess sometimes you just need to sit, type and read to get thinking.

Is their only 3 safety switches on the 7016? 1 on the seat, pto and the forward/revers lever ? To by pass them do I loop a wire from one side of the plug to the other. If not how do you do it. I need to get her running as the front axle on the JD we used to mow with just broke in half.

You have a neutral button on the hydro and PTO. You are correct, just jumping the plugs will complete the starter circuit, nothing on the seat for the 7016.