Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

burned up PTO switch

nateb17010

found another little problem on my 1316h front mount mower. keep smelling electric burning just didnt know where it was coming from. until my PTO quit. melted wires, wire block, switch is what i found. so now i have to rewire a switch up i take it that on the 5 pin switch the 2 pole wire block is the safety and the 3 pole block is for the PTO. a hot ground pto hot. other question is does anyone have a wire diagram? been looking threw all my books and micro film but have not found anything on my model yet. called my loco dealer, he said over $30.00 for the switch. looked on E-%^& place and found some 5 pole for around $21 bucks. i have other switches that could work after i trace some wires find out what they all do. thanks

Not sure of the wiring, etc. But I know switches are available at NAPA and Radio Shack, for a fairly reasonable amount.

You have a diode in between your pilot light and PTO switch. You might ask a dealer if a blown diode raises havoc with PTO switch because of electrical spikes or something like it from the PTO when power is cut to it.

the location of the switch is vertical on the dash so when it gets wet im sure it just ran down the switch lever and rotted it out. the wires also burned up leading to the switch and crossed causing it to not charge and or work properly. thats why i thinking the 3 pole plug has a ground in the center pole. guess i will have to do some more digging to find a book or something on the wire diagram, then again perhaps when i load up my trailer with my tractors to show and parts to sell for the fathers day Allis show in Middle Amana Iowa. i will just get the correct switch there just. trying to rig it up so i can mow before then.

ok so i found a switch just like it but just enough different. got it mounted new ends put on hit the key switch and nothing..... turn on the PTO switch and it cranked just fine and started. only problem is now the PTO has to be on to start it up and im not liking this at all. the wire that burned up goes to the oil and PTO light. i did find a transistor or diode in the steering housing that leads up to the PTO switch. oh i do hate wiring. but at lest i try. so i switched all the wires around on the switch but the way i had it hooked up the first time is the only way it seams to work. any ideas? i still have a few but just off work so i think i will try it again when i wake unless you all think of a better idea.

thanks for the thread and a good read. im just about to just keep buying belts for the B10. this darn thing is getting to be a pain. but im not one to just give up ether. i will find a wire diagram some where so i can figure it out quicker.

well its not correct but it works better then when i bought it. if i lose this switch i will know its the diode. i just jumped the safety and put a heavy duty toggle switch in. to tell ya the truth the PTO is staying locked in and its now charging just fine. still need new belts but im sure that day will come. thanks for all the help