Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Don't Forget

powermax_paul

I do have Powermax backhoe plans/drawings/partslists available. It make a good winter project for your AC616/620/720 or Simplicity 4040/4041/9020. Paul

Paul, I'm a PE in Indiana and stamp drawings all the time. My errors and omissions (liability) insurance isn't nearly that much but it is not cheap. Don't know a thing about structural design except what I learned at Purdue but power distribution, lighting and fire alarms I can do. Going rate around here for design is about 5-7% of the construction cost and hourly rate is about $80-$90 on Owner requested changes. Insurance is about $1600/yr for $100,000 per claim/$250,000 total and that is the smallest policy you can get (basically a "moonlighters" policy for those who also work for a company). It goes way up from there especially if you are on your own and/or have employees. Brent

You're right Brent, I guess I was referring to insurance costs if I went into consulting full time. It's still more than a MD would have to pay. As a remodeling contractor we paid about $2700 for $1mil of aggregate coverage plus a $1mil umbrella in the last year. That's really not too bad. Plus workers comp of course. Paul

Paul, I'd definitely buy a set if I owned one of those machines. I think your asking price is $75. If one hired a professional engineer to design something for them, $75 would buy you maybe 1 hour of his time, so the asking price is pretty cheap in my opinion. Looks to be a pretty good design as well. Brent[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/For_sale_ad.asp?MsgID=2421&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/For_sale_ad.asp?MsgID=2421&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

Thanks Brent, As it turns out, I am a licensed engineer in Wisconsin. As a remodeling contractor, though, I don't use it much. It does come in handy for structural challenges. I don't know what engineers are charging, but I bet it's even more than $75 per hour. Heck, the practice insurance for a consulting engineer is over $28k per year last time I checked. It's more than for a doctor, cuz if a doctor makes a mistake, usually only one person dies. Paul