Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem with B&S 12hp

beamer

Hi Guys, I need some help with a problem with a tractor I just picked up. It has the Cast B&S 30000 series 12hp engine. I just received it from a friend. It was sitting for a couple of years. I put a battery on it, changed the plug, changed the oil and tried to start it. It turned over great no problems with the generator. However,I'm not getting any spark at the plug. I'm not getting any current from the Mag. Problem number two is there is very little air blowing out of the plug hole when turning it over and the exhaust is sucking air hard. Last time I had this problem was a pony motor that slipped its timing 180 degrees out. Before I tear into this thing does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Mike Beam

If I'm thinking correctly, it sounds like exhaust valve is stuck open and intake valve is stuck shut. I don't know how intake could be stuck shut though, with cam driving it open, unless something is busted. Paul

I also think it's cranking bacwards. Put it in reverse and hit starter. If it moves forward- guess what? Sometimes folks buy a starter generator that came off a cub cadet that turns the opposite direction and put them on the older yellow Allis Chalmers, not knowing the difference. It can be wired to generate in the proper direction, if this is the problem for you..

Marion, Thanks for explaining my theory on Beamer's problem.I was a bit brain dead last eve.having just returned from a long day of deer hunting with my flintlock muzzleloader.At 62 y/o these PA hills are a lot higher and steeper than they used to be.Grandson Adam and I filled the woods with white smoke and flying lead much to the amusement of the deer which remain untouched. Jim

I still think the exhaust valve is stuck. It was probably open when turned off last and is rusted in place. Woody