Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

will not trun over

garyb

So my 5212.5 has been touchy on starting, the switch has seen better days. Well the switch finally went, no click nothing, so I put a new one in it and now I get a click from under the seat, I think the solenoid and what ever else is there. But still will not turn over. Any suggestions? My guess is the solenoid but The switch was definitely shot the tractor was not kept inside so the weather ruined the switch, all corroded and needed finessed to find the off spot and also to get it to start

Gary,

I had a solenoid (from my 4212G), that turned out to be intermittent, in addition to a funky key switch, and a questionable nanny switch (1 of 3), for the longest time I used an ole screwdriver across the solenoid contacts. 'Til I discovered that grounding the solenoid terminal w/ the (yellow/green) wires (coming from the I/C module, took the "nanny" switches (3) out of the equation!

(Don't tell OSHA!) lol

BTW - Dura-Last Solenoid from Auto-Zone $29, 20A breaker $9.99.

Cheers,

Wayne

Most likely Nanny to be malfunctioning is the PTO, the button on the micro switch, develops a cavity , over time!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on tractor, I did jump the post on the solenoid and it turned over. But it smoked under engine cover from what I could tell from around the flywheel. the magneto?.

I might have, I replaced the switch with one that had the same pin configuration as mine had off,run,start positions 3 position switch with 5 pins out the back, my harness plugged right in to it. It was not a simplicity switch, (a universal switch)

not all over the counter indak switches are wired the same,i had to repin the one on my 4212 i had. even though it looked the same,it didnt work until i repinned the connector

Most all of them are 5 pins and there are 7 pins as well. Not all the 5 pins are the same. They have letters near the pins to identify them. If you didn`t get the correct one you more than likely fried the ignition coil as Ron stated.

that sux, I just looked for my old one and I think I threw it out. Now the big question. Dose anybody know what one I need for the 5212.5?

my switch was so corroded on the back nothing was visible as far as identification and I'm not sure what was on the side the housing was pretty bad. I guess lesson learned

1686734 Looks like it fits all the 5212.5 models. It fits actually 2300+ models of Simplicity

I would still check your 169xxxx number to be sure, since the description says 6 pin

Looks like the tractor was made from 1987 - 1990. It used the Briggs 404707 engine. They had 3 different Mfg. No. in the time frame. 1691175, 1691238, and 1691473.

521125.jpg

This should be the wiring diagram for your tractor. Notice the letters on the switch. Pretty much every Simplicity with a Briggs in that I have owned, worked on or parted out has that switch.

1931.jpg

If you got one like this. More than likely you magneto is fried.This should be the correct parts manual.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aoO0rE5CGh5kbp796Dq.pdf

521125.jpg.b1808fd84df99784e37c4e7b9822fc2d.jpg

1931.jpg.980981ee08e2563eee9ea7d1c1198225.jpg