Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Virus alert -- Do not open any email from ME...

Nubian
are you guys updating your anti-virus software regularly,and is it set-up to automatically scan your e-mail.because i have always used outlook express along with norton anti-virus and never had enough of a problem to make me switch.

Woodydel
You can update you anti-virus definition files all you like and have your mail scanned automatically using Norton's. In between the updates from Norton's new virus's are able to penetrate your DEFENSE because they may not be in your updated definition file YET. At that point your anti-virus software is unaware that you have picked up that new strain. With Outlook you are giving too much potential power to the virus sender when this new virus penetrates your defenses. Eudora does almost nothing except retrieve your mail. That is all most people need. Most people do not need the extra features present in Outlook anyway, so why make your attacker have the tools Microsoft has provided. Eudora is more straight forward and offers less hidden potential threat to you. That is why I use it myself with Norton's Anti Virus. They used to make Anti Virus software that was more intelligent than what is available now. Microsoft with all it's cute little automation features made it impossible to tell from the activity of the program that a virus threat was taking place. Now you have to update constantly and it allows the anti virus vendors to have a captive client list. I believe a movie could be made with these anti virus vendors making deals with the hackers or even "innocent" beginning programmers being tricked into proliferating virus attacks. Just like a miracle the fixes keep coming. Fiction? Woody

Kent
.... that you received yesterday. I've just been notified that I have a virus on my home system and sent out emails last evening... I did a complete system scan with Norton on Friday night, but the kids were on the computer yesterday while I was at the base (which is where I am now) -- D@#$!!!!!!! I'm going to stop using Microsoft's email programs -- this is getting to be too much.... Luckily this is the MAGISTR32 virus, so it's easily found and fixed.... Check your systems! Once again, I must apologize....

Woodydel
Kent, I tell everyone to use email programs NOT produced by Microsoft. You lose control with their products and make you look bad. As I always say, no need to apologize. Besides I always imagine a scenario with the AntiVirus guys having clandestine meetings with the virus producers or should I say the virus distributors. They always have the fix right away..Hmmm.. Woody

JB
Got an E..........server stopped it............JB.

Kent
After all the problems before, I changed from McAfee to Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, set to automatically scan emails. Friday night I updated my virus definition files via Live Update and did a complete system scan, completed at 8:50 Eastern time... everything was clean. It was not a factor of the virus files or program being out of date -- it was likely one of my kids responding incorrectly to an alert sometime during the day on Saturday... Since I can't seem to control what they do, my only reasonable alternative seems to be to try even more preventative measures, such as use an email program that most viruses don't bother trying to penetrate to get to my address book...

SmilinSam
I have recieved the W32magistr.39921@mm virus from two other club members Jim Powers and Dave Christiansen. Nortons caught and fixed both. I have notified both club members. Jim has notified me his system is now clean. The message you get with the attachment containing the virus reads as follows: If you do not wish to receive any special offers or communications from MSP on behalf of selected companies, or directly from Microsoft, check the "opt out" box on the e-form that is located in Member Services under "Billing". Please note, if you subsequently change your "opt out" election, such change will not affect your receipt of offers and communications from MSP (on behalf of selected companies) or Microsoft that are processed before you notify MSP that you have changed your "opt out" election. Heads up guys!

Woodydel
Norton's does a good job of scanning email. Sam sent me mail recently with no virus. Woody

johnsup
Good thing I have webtv, I cannot open attachments like this. John

Nubian
Hey woody i use outlook express is there a difference from outlook as far as those extra tools. I can't remember ever using anything else since i started computing in'95. i guess i'll have to check eudora out to see the difference Thanks

powermax_paul
Kent, I got the email you sent intentionally, and no other emails or attachments. I'll scan anyway. Paul

Roy
Kent, Not one peep from my Norton Anti-Virus 2002 so I hope I'm clean. Roy

Kent
Is anyone currently using Eudora? I haven't used it in about 5 years or so... How is it now? Can I move my Outlook address book to it? I'm usually content to live with the Micrsoft bugs, etc., but this is too much, when I continually have these problems.

MikeES
Yes, I got the e-mail from Dave the same as Sam's, but it looked suspicious to me so I deleted it. Now I find out from this great information site that it was bad. Thanks for letting us know. Good Luck! Mike S.

Woodydel
Kent, That's all I ever use and you don't need the newest either, 4.1 or better is fine. Oftentimes my customers are forced to use Outlook. Much of their business transactions are automated and if their clients require this then they are forced to use it. Their networks have so many ways to be attack that it's scary. Microsoft is never going to get out of this mess they've created so we're stuck. Woody

StinKy
Im using AVG 6.0 (free edition) It has caught whatever bad has come my way. Just did full system scan and I'm clean according to AVG at least. Dick

SmilinSam
I was using Eudora and switched to Outlook because it seemed to work better with my setup. But, I have found that in my outlook I canot click on the high lighted URL's and go direct to the web sites. Says it cannot find a file called PROGRAM to accomplish this feat. I've looked and its not on my system anywhere.. I may end up switching back after while.???

Woodydel
Nubian, People who have used a product for any length of time are difficult to change over so I've learned to avoid the confrontation and everyone is happy. Observation of where the problems are coming from most often prompts me to make a statement. Microsoft products cause the most problems with virus's even in their Office Suites. Due diligence as stated by jlasater can work but everyone lets down their guard at some point. With email less is better as far as features go. If the predominant target is Microsoft then you should eliminate the target. Woody

jlasater
I've had excellent luck with Outlook Express, but I keep NAV2002 up to date and have killed most/all of the auto features in OE like the preview window. Bottom line is, there are no guarantees with ANY email client or antivirus package. If you go on the basis that another client will eliminate all your problems, your just fooling yourself. The best defense is to pay attention to the emails/files you receive and save/scan files before you open them. NAV2002 does have the nice feature of scanning outgoing emails as well.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]