Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 trans. unlocked - how much oil and where?

mowerman1193

Ok I did a search on locked up trannys on this club and found out a way to unlock it.So.. I went out to the shed and took the seat/fender off and removed the oil plug at the top of the tranny and there it was...the shift forks was not lined up..so I stuck a screw driver in there and pushed them so they lined up and wha-la. its unlocked now and maybe I wont need to use one of the trannys I picked up the other day.3rd gear is real sticky though(goes in 3rd ok but likes to stay there)and thats where it was stuck at when I got the tractor.The tractor has sat locked up like that for at least 5 years outside.Sat long enough to rust up the starter/generator(thought the motor was locked up when I got it).I am just wondering if it might have some rust in the shift forks or something to make it want to stay in 3rd. gear.Ok enough rambling on,now to my ?.What one of the oil plugs do you use to check the oil level?My manual does'nt say what one.I didnt even know there was another plug on the top side until I took the fender off. Thanks, mowerman1193

On my 725 simp. the top plug is for a breather when you fill up the case. I made the mistake of filling the rear end up to the top plug and the rear leaked. I found out on this site that you should fill to the middle plug and drain from the bottom plug.John H

Thanks for the information I thought it should be the rear plug but not sure.Now I need to get it back together and see if its going to be ok or not.It does'nt shift as easy as the one that I picked up the other day but might be from all the years of setting outside. mowerman1193

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The tranny should be filled with 1 quart of 80W-90 or straight 90 gear oil (to the bottom of the rear plug). Tom