Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my new purchase 4040

prez

My new tractor needs some work, here it goes.....Steering is very loose, can I tighten up steering box without removal?? And are front end parts available somewhere besides the dealer?? I need an airfilter. The deck spindles seem to have about 100,000th's up and down play in them but no side to side play(?). Tractor also seems to have a fair amount of Transmission fluid leaks, is this normal?? The brakes don't work well, what is the quickest way to fix them?? Thanks in advance, Mike P.

Mike, First thing to check on the steering is sometimes the steering gearbox mounting bolts come loose. You can get at them by removing the cover in front of the seat. Front end parts, if available, will have to come from the dealer. I've never had my deck apart so I don't know. I've had a few leaks on my transmissions too. You just have to find them and eliminate them. The powermax tractors all have less than desirable brakes, but you may want to investigate further. I suggest contacting Simplicity Mfg. and getting the two volume repair manual. Paul

Hi Mike, I have a 4040 and I have had leaks before and have developed the same leak again.( bummer) My leak was at the axle tube where it bolted to the transmission case/frame. ( Both sides) It took my repair manuals to disassemble the the axle tubes and be VERY careful when you pull out the axle and reinstall it because one of the two gaskets that you will probably have to replace is the size of a pencil lead. I think that is why I have a leak again. The gaskets are pretty in-expensive but very time consuming to get to and re-assemble. I agree with Paul on getting the manuals, they are most helpful. My dealer told me that I was the first one that he knew that got that deep into these tractors without a mechanic,( My brother is a mechanic :>) Hope this helps a little. JayT

I do have all the manuals, and have read the information contained in it. I quess I was hoping for a easy fix, the disasembly part of the drop housing is a little scary.They do talk about using something on the bolts to seal them? Cheap air filter? The dealer wants 60 dollars which I thought was a bit high. Last question for the night. Will engine cleaner hurt the seals any where in my drive train. I cant pretty up my beast with 30 years of grime on it.

Mike Baldwin filter #'s for PowerMax's (CCKA/B's) - (you will save a bundle on air filters) oil filter B243 air filter PA2347 hyd filter B163 Jeff P.S. Fuel filters are pretty much universal and are readily available at auto parts stores. Just get correct inlet/outlet size (forget what it is - probably 1/4" or 5/16")

• 4 months later...
The front end design on Powermax's is prone to sloppy steering. The main axel bolt and bushing and the front stabilizer bolt wear and can be replaced or better, bore out the axel and insert a larger bushing in both places. I did this on mine and it now steers like a Porsche. Check for slop at the steering arms. There are two keyways under the 3/4" nut and the tend to wear. The sector box is probably OK.