Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Is something wrong with my hydro?

rich_kildow

We hauled my 7116 to my Dad's house down the road the other day and noticed that it is able to roll on it's own much more than it should. I know when I first bought it I had to use the release latch to push it around but I haven't really had to do that...ever. I did add a hydrolift shortly after purchase and did use shims, the thinnest one to give me adequate lift.

I've also been chasing a leak in the rear end the whole time I've owned it. It always acts like it is overfilled and is weeping slowly from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find where. It works great, makes no noise other than what I've heard on every hydro I've ever been on, and is extremely smooth.

Does the constant slow leak, rolling without using the release valve, and adding a hydrolift add up to anything I should be dealing with?

Burntime

There is a hose at the bottom. Mine leaked until I replaced it. Once that was done it was tight again. You could very well have leaking relief valves. I also pulled mine and worked them with penetrating oil. It could just be wear...

RayS

If they sit awhile they will roll around like nobody`s business. I own 3 of them. It is normal. If it is overfilled it will come out the axle seals first. Suppose to be below the axle seals. Those seals keep dirt out just like the BGB seals. Not intended to keep oil in.

Brettw

Your trans sounds normal as to rolling after being shut off. The longer it sits the easier it is to roll, as Ray said. Mine weaps a bit from the pintle shaft, but not enough to cause worry or low fluid except to maybe check it and top it off once a year. Unless there is a significant spot on the floor everywhere it's parked and it appears quickly with visual dripping, I would not necessarily be overly concerned. Maybe replace the hose as Mike stated, if that is the cause.

I personally have yet to see a Sundstrand fail, or heard any stories of a failure, if that provides any peace of mind.

rich_kildow

The "jiggle pin" (I like that) is free and that was my first thought. The leak seems to be from the center/bottom of the rear end, so that hose may be the culprit. I'll get one ordered tomorrow when I'm hiding from the rain. I'll also pull those relief valves and see how they look. I'm just glad to know it's most likely not trying to become a grenade on me.

Brettw

You can likely get the hose at any auto/hardware store, cheaper and faster. I believe it is standard 3/8 or 1/2" hose. It is not a pressure hose, it's just a return line as far as I know.