Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1964 early B-10 differential?

69DEZ

I want to apologize right away if I didn't do the right search on this but I need some help. I would like EVERYBODY'S .02 on this. Everything on the tractor is turning like it should. But the wheels don't move. I pushed it in the shop and it will move, on level ground with me helping it by pushing on the tire. Thoughts?????

Maybe the locking collar on the left axle loosened up & the gears moved away from each other. Don't know if this will fix it but you can try to tighten the locking collar. Jack the rear up so the tires are off the ground, loosen the square head set screw on the locking collar on the left axle. Push the right axle & wheel assembly inward. Slide the locking collar on the left axle inward all the way & tighten the square head set screw. Lower tractor & see if it helped. Some other causes could be a differential problem on the right side axle. Sheared axle keys or cracked or busted axle tube where keyway is.

sounds like the roll pins or shear pins to me. this is how i do it. you will have to jack up the rear of the tractor, turn out your thrust washer bolts that are at an angle first before you take off your wheel with the round diff should be right side of tractor. should all be 5/8" socket. then take off the locking collar with an Allen wrench. pull off the hub. you will now know if in fact the shear pins broke also inspect the rear end housing and axle tube for any cracks. if the pins are broke i find it the safest to tear down the diff case and clean out all the old grease, inspect the gears. keep in mind to lay it out just how you taken it apart these gears are not cheep. lot of the time it will leave little parts of the roll pin in the grease. after a good cleaning reassemble. if you are having problems removing the pins in the hub use a screw and a vice grips and a dead blow hammer. i made a slide hammer for this job. now the role pins that you can pick up just about anywhere can be used but you have to grind off any protruding past the gear. then reassemble the tractor. and you should be good to go. best of luck

Thanks for the responses. Well I pulled the hub off. It's not the roll pins. The small gears in the diff are all chewed up. The gear on the hub is wore but saveable. I can not get the diff off. Yes I removed the clip on the shaft. The keys seem to be free. I can only move the diff about .125 of an inch on the axle. It must be hanging up on the big gear in the diff. I looked to see if the teeth were lining up, they are. What to do?????? I know it's under pressure in the diff. I did remove the nuts off the long bolts,left the bolts in. Since I'm looking at a complete rebuild of the diff what should I do? Should I even bother? those gears can't be cheap. I have a 3112 that sitting with a BGB issue hoping its a sheared key. Maybe I should pickle the B-10 and watch Craig's list for a rear end transplant. Thoughts???????

Pretty sure that Rhubbard swapped early for late diffs. Search his posts. Gives you more options sourcing parts