Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opposed twin Briggs

MPH

Since there have been a few diss about opposed briggs lately thought I'd share this info. My brother in Colo was cutting fire wood on some farm and spotted a tractor sitting in the grass next door. Thought it looked about like the 16hp gilson pics I send him, it said Wards on it but he was unable to find a name plate but said it was powered by a 16hp opposed briggs, sooo there is one tractor that engine was used in, for what its worth...MPH

Briggs made an opposed twin (boxer) similar to the KT and Magnum twins used in Sim and AC tractors. The Vanguard isa a V-twin. I believe the Briggs opposed twin is the 422400 series. Mike S.

Ok, I've got a horizontal shaft Vanguard 16 HP, that I just put in my Cub, either of you guyz know what the small (clear) box is , just above the starter????.----Either electronic voltage regulator, or ignition box.

Marty, I've got a Gilson S-16 with the twin Briggs. It is all of the things you said it was regarding turning radius and heavy. However it is great in the woods with a set of lug tires for pulling a wood splitter or a small trailer with fire wood. 75# wheel weights on each side are a real boost. It also handles my 24 foot travel trailer with ease. There is a place for a big clunky machine, but it certainly isn't on the lawn. Ron