Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Mickey85

Need help on a 4211h's brake

Mickey85

I recently inherited my grandfather's Simplicity 4211h. I rebuilt the carburetor, changed the plug, put in new blades, and it is running like a charm. The problem? The clutch/brake lever doesn't work and in fact, doesn't feel like its connected. When I look under the mower, it appears that the pedal is connected to the linkage all the way back to the actual brake, but I can't see where the break is that has it disconnected. It's not a NECESSARY thing to have, but it would certainly be a nice thing to use.

Does anyone have a diagram that they could post? I can't see very well in there, and can't find anything in the owner's manual that would give me a clue.

Thanks!

BLT

Welcome to the club. On your machine there should be a seven digit product number 169XXXX. When you retrieve that, you can go to the top of this forum, find the thread on downloading copies from Simplicity.

The clutch/brake pedal function should also disconnect power to the hydro, but the parts book might show you the path.

Mickey85

Thanks BLT! I already have the owner's manual and parts lists of both the engine and mower, and neither seems to show a diagram of the actual disc and caliper. Strange, but I suppose I'm just being lazy and need to drop the deck and climb up under there.

rokon2813

If everything is moving, part number 37 may be worn out. Or pin 32 may be missing.You may be able to get more adjustment, by tightening nut 42 if everything is there.

4211H brakes.gif

57e0608dd6147_4211Hbrakes.gif.dd3fecbf0ac50a9768cfab69b3c1dbb7.gif

Mickey85

I know it's not the brake pads - when I was mowing with it a couple years ago, I hit the brake and heard a "sproing" sound, and it lost all response and became very easy to push. I'll check for the pins. If 40 is the thing that connects the pedal to the caliper, it may be there...I'll have to check when I get back to the shop.

GrincheyOne

Matt, (BTW - Welcome to the Club)Item 40 is the part that connects to the brake rod. It acts as a cam to compress the rotor #36 between the brake pads (2) #37. The Owners Manual gives detailed instructions to adjust the brake (EXCEPT) that to gain access to the brake assembly, you have to remove the RH rear wheel.This will give you some idea what the caliper looks like from a top view ofthe transaxle...

tire_clearance2.jpg

tire_clearance2.jpg.92dc5a7f164c65e587937f6cb9ea181d.jpg