Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck scalping?

OkieGT

My Allis 716 with a 42" deck started scalping the lawn last year, not sure why, I have a virtually new 42" deck from a Simplicity 7016 and I put it on the Allis and it does the same thing. The tires all have 15 pounds air pressure. It only scalps when making a turn, I'm thinking it has something to do with the cable lift and rock shaft, but I have no clue, it's an electric lift tractor,and both decks have good rear rollers. When looking at the front of the mower the deck actually looks like its uneven under the tractor, not sure how that could happen, front axle bearing/tie rod? Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated, since if I wanted a crappy cut I could buy a box store mower.

Are you putting the electric lift all the way down so the cable has slack in it?

That is the first step so that the deck can float on the rollers, not be carried by the cable.

The only way the rock shaft and or cable could effect the deck is if you do not have enough slack.

If you do have slack, then your problem lies in the front axle somewhere.

Lots of people try to adjust cutting height with the lift, totally NOT how these are designed.

Back to the front axle, this is the only place on the tractor that can affect the deck if it is set properly.

If something was bent or broken, I would guess it should scalp all the time.

If it only scalps when turning, I would start with checking wheel bearings and spindles, something that would change the angle of the tire hitting the ground when turning.

Also, since you say 2 different decks do it, I would say it has to be in the tractor, not a deck adjustment.

Just my 2 cents

There are two rods that run from the front portion of the deck to the rear roller carrier. These rods are used for hight adjustment on the deck itself. There is an adjustment on these rods at the rear of the deck where they attach to the roller carrier. Make sure that both adjustments are turned in or out exactly the same and that neither rod has a bend in it.id="size1">

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Are you putting the electric lift all the way down so the cable has slack in it?That is the first step so that the deck can float on the rollers, not be carried by the cable.The only way the rock shaft and or cable could effect the deck is if you do not have enough slack.If you do have slack, then your problem lies in the front axle somewhere.Lots of people try to adjust cutting height with the lift, totally NOT how these are designed.Back to the front axle, this is the only place on the tractor that can affect the deck if it is set properly.If something was bent or broken, I would guess it should scalp all the time.If it only scalps when turning, I would start with checking wheel bearings and spindles, something that would change the angle of the tire hitting the ground when turning.Also, since you say 2 different decks do it, I would say it has to be in the tractor, not a deck adjustment.Just my 2 cents

id="quote">
id="quote">That's the weird thing about the cable lift, the deck goes all the way up or down in the first three notches of the height gauge, I think your tight on the cable, I don't think I'm getting the proper slack on the cable. Thanks everyone.